getting nervous

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
blades

getting nervous

Post by blades »

I haven't posted on here too much. My daughter Ava is now a little over 2 years and has had such great recovery on her own! I am so proud of her! Anyway I am now 9 months pregnant and am starting to get very paranoid! Of course I have switched Dr.'s and am very proactive in this pregnancy. We are doing an ultrasound next week to get a better idea on the size of the baby and probably going to induce 2 weeks early. I do have a birth plan written, there will not be any forceps or vacuum and also I will not have an epi. If the baby doesn't descend properly they will take me in for a c-section. All these feelings are coming up again and I am really concerned that I am going to panic when I go into labor and not be able to do it! Thanks for listening, I guess I just needed to get this out.

Tara (mom to Ava ROBPI)
blades01@arvig.net
Mica

Re: getting nervous

Post by Mica »

Tara,

I'm sure this is in your birth plan - but also no pushing on your back!!! (this was a HUGE factor in my daughter's injury!)

It's perfectly normal for you to be terrified about giving birth again! Everyone here can understand!

Just remember that knowledge is power - and you are well educated about SD and OBPIs!!! I truly hope you have a wonderful birth experience, and that your little one is born waving both fists in the air!

Keep us posted, and congratulations! :)

mica
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I dont have any advice but want to wish you the best with your new baby's arrival!!! I hope all goes great and you are able to welcome a beautiful baby into the world!!!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

I second the advice of not pushing while on your back and want to go a bit further and say...stay off your back altogether! Don't labor on your back at all. Move around. Get out of that bed! Ask for the telemetry monitor if you NEED to be monitored (which you don't have to be monitored all the time and the nurse can safely dopple your baby's heartbeat as needed during labor) this way you can move around. Hands and knees, side-lying if you need to get off your feet, sitting on a ball, squatting (even though you might not be pushing, this allows the baby to descend), walking, etc. are all great positions.

Keep in mind, induction of labor does not allow your baby to descend in a natural pattern, so it is even more important for you to try to assist this baby to descend by being upright as much as possible. Discuss this with your provider AND the nurses and make sure it is in your birthplan with the doctor's signature right next to that part of the birthplan!

Bring your relaxation tools with you like music, rice pack (like you'd use warmed up in a microwave for sore muscles), tennis ball and a sock to roll over your back if you have back labor, lotions, etc. to help you through labor. Remember that you are a strong woman who can do this. It's been done before. It's okay to make noise and anyone who tells you it's not is full of you know what. I'm a L&D nurse and I let my patients make whatever noise they want (except when pushing because when pushing noise means they are letting extra energy release and they really need to instead focus that energy elsewhere and we just refocus at that point).

Good luck to you, your family, and your baby.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 4 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Tanya

I wish you were there when I delivered my children.
It is so nice to know things have changed since then and woman don't have to be strapped to a table.

Tara - You can do it and remember you are in charge it is your baby and your body.
Good Luck and happy delivery.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi