2nd child

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tisha1721

2nd child

Post by Tisha1721 »

I am giving birth to my second child next Thursday, April 19, 2007. My first, born four years ago, sustained a left bpi. This one is a planned c section. I am very scared about the c section because I have never even been in the hospital for myself except while giving birth. Any advice for that day and how to stay relaxed? Any info would help.
Thanks, Tisha
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Re: 2nd child

Post by Tanya in NY »

Ask all the questions you can think of prior to the cesarean. Ask them to the doctor, to the nurses, to your family...basically to anyone who will listen so you can let it all out.

If it were me, I'd also ask for Duramorph in my spinal anesthesia for the cesarean because it stays in your system for a number of hours post-op and helps with pain relief afterward, too. It makes it easier for you to be able to get up and walk around the same afternoon instead of having to push a PCA button for morphine or relying on a nurse to bring you pain medication.

Remember that it is NORMAL to be nervous. It's OKAY to be nervous. It's expected. Let the nurse who is caring for you know what your past experience was like with your first delivery and why you are having a c/s this time so they can be more empathetic towards your needs. It's not all about IV's and stuff like that, but the nurse needs to be attentive to your emotional needs as well, so clue them in on how they can help you.

And breathe and enjoy your newborn baby.

Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 4 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old