How do you choose the right Dr..for your most precious???

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
lmungin
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is LaTeesha, our son suffered a LOBPI in January, 2002. He has received two surgeries, botox, ongoing therapy, and recently recommended for a third surgery.

How do you choose the right Dr..for your most precious???

Post by lmungin »

Hello, My name is LaTeesha....Our son, D.J. is 5 years old, has a LOBPI. He had the primary surgery at 6 months of age at N.C. Baptist Hospital, performed by Dr. Andrew Koman...He's been following him since about 4-5 months of age; We've had a consultation with Dr. Shenaq about 2-3 yrs. ago during a Brachial Plexus Clinic and ultimately got two additional opinions to determine whether or not to wait; Now, the waiting period has expired and I haven't heard from Dr. Nath's office and the primary surgery surgeon, Dr. Koman suggests the MOD QUAD in April; My debate is should I wait for Dr. Nath's evaluation or move forward and have aggressive OT/PT over the spring/summer in preparation for Kindergarten? Please suggest.....
claudia

Re: How do you choose the right Dr..for your most precious???

Post by claudia »

We have a Medical Resource page on this website. Why don't you pick a few doctors and email them. The doctors on the Resource page have all filled out a questionaire about their experience. I find them very accommodating and quick to answer emails.

Good luck,
claudia
MHBF

Post by MHBF »

HELLO,
I CAN'T GET OVER DR.NATH NOT CONTACTING YOU BACK.
HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE YOU EMAILED HIM???
ALSO I WOULD KEEP IN MIND THAT DOCTORS ARE VERY BUSY AND I WOULD CALL HIS OFFICE EVERYDAY,ALSO I WOULD SEARCH AND SPEAK WITH OTHER DOCS AS WELL.
I CAN TELL YOU THAT MY SON IS 6 1/2 AND NATH HAS BEEN HIS DR SINCE BIRTH. WE'VE BEEN VERY PLEASED & BLESSED WITH NATH. WE JUST GOT HOME A FEW DAYS AGO FROM HIS 6TH SURGERY. MY SON HAD 0% AT BIRTH AND NOW HIS OVERALL FUNCTION IS 60%.
I ALSO THINK THAT AGE IS VERY IMPORTANT WHEN IT COME TO OBPI. IM NOT A DOCTOR JUST GIVING MY OPINION.
AS FAR AS DR.SHENAQ I HAVE ISSUSES WITH HIM BUT ALL IN ALL HE MAY BE A GREAT DOCTOR. I JUST GOT A BAD VIBE ABOUT HIM.NOT GONNA GET INTO DETAILS ON BOARD YOU CAN EMAIL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE. THATS JUST MY OPINION.
HOW MUCH FUNCTION DOES YOUR SON HAVE? HOW MUCH PT/OT IS HE GETTING?WHAT ELSE HAS BEEN DONE FOR HIM SINCE THE PRIMARY? SORRY TO BE SO FULL OF?????????'S
I HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
BEST OF LUCK!!!!!KATHY
Mare

Post by Mare »

Kathy
You said your son has had 6 surgeries could you email me and tell me about them??? My son also had 0 at birth and had 4 surgies the last being the mod quad. Thanks Mare
email Tinny61@aol.com
MHBF

Post by MHBF »

SURE THING!!!
johnstrike

Post by johnstrike »

I wonder why this information must be sent by a private e-mail. Can't it just be posted on the board so we can all learn from it?

I would certainly appreciate it.

John
MHBF

Post by MHBF »

what would you llike to know. i dont BASH doctors on board
johnstrike

Post by johnstrike »

6 surgeries seems more than average and I'm interested in what surgeries your child had so far and what the outcome was of these surgeries. Were these surgeries planned in front? Do you have more surgeries ahead?

I don't ask you for bashing doctor's.

John
MHBF

Post by MHBF »

yes they were al planned.
1-prime
2-mod
3-caps
4-tendon lenght
5-pins in wrist
6-pins out and tri tilt.
the tilt was just performed a week ago to soon to see results. if i had it do do all over again i would not have done #4. it did not seem to help and if i had know that it the begining i would had never done it. not to say that it want help others i dont know. i was told no more surgeries and if at allthey would be very minor later in life like around 12 or 13. i hope thats true.
we have been very blessed with his outcome. 60% overall function is better than 0%,25% ill take 60% with a smile.
kathy
MHBF

Post by MHBF »

YEAH ITS NOT TO FAR I THINK ITS ABOUT 2HRS AWAY MAYBE EVEN CLOSER. try me again please
KATHYO2007@aol.com thanks kathy