Stem cell research for BPI nerve regrowth - is this for real?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Ginne

Stem cell research for BPI nerve regrowth - is this for real?

Post by Ginne »

It's been a while since I last posted (and I can't remember on what topic) and i have had a very interesting couple of months.

Has anyone heard of the study being carried out by a French Doctor on nerve regeneration? If I understand the info that was passed on to me, there is a French Dr that is using Stem Cells to carry out research on children (of all ages) to re-grow the BP nerves.

*Again, this is 2nd hand info and unfortunately I don't have time anymore to research (hint...hint)*

Anyway, this Dr. has a small study group (around 100 kids) that he is using in S. America. He has completely removed the BP nerves and implanted Stem Cells. My understanding is that the majority of the children at the 2-year old stage (and they are in different stages according to age) have had a complete recovery. The older children area little slower to regenerate, but are making a remarkable recovery.

When I mentioned this to my Pediatric Dr. he looked at me and said yes he had read about it, and actually gave me a little better understanding of what was being accomplished! Supposedly there is a Dr up in Toronto, Ontario (Canada) that is looking into this procedure and hoping to sway the Canadian Government to allow him to do specific research into this

ARGGGGGGGGGGGH!

Anyway if anyone can dig and find out more I would be truly grateful. Is this a load of malarkey or a legit study being done.

Thanks all

Ginne
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Stem cell research for BPI nerve regrowth - is this for real?

Post by jennyb »

Hi Ginne
yes there is definitely research into bpi with stem cell treatment, I have heard about studies in Italy and London, and I'm sure there are others elsewhere. Hadn't previously heard about obpi being treated with these cells but it sounds plausible.
A regular poster on the tbpi board, Christopher, knows just about all there is to know about stem cell, nerve reimplantation treatment etc and he even corresponds with the doctors involved. Here's his profile http://ubpn.org/messageboard/profil ... serID=1438 email him and I'm sure he'll be able to throw some light on the project you mention.

Personally I think this is the future for our injuries.
Jen NZ