Here after a LOOOONG time / Update on Suvi

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Krista (Finland)

Here after a LOOOONG time / Update on Suvi

Post by Krista (Finland) »

Hi all,

I haven't been to these boards for ages, but yesterday I found all my old Outreaches and just missed all my "old" ;o) friends.... So here I am. Most of you don't propably even know me, some of you know and remember.

I just thought it would be nice to tell everybody about Suvi and how she is doing now.

Suvi is now 7 and started school this autumn. She is exited, but little bit bored now and then because she can alredy read, write and do the math quite well. She is still getting therapy (both PT and OT)and there has not been any extra surgery after the primary one. We are discussing a tendom transfer to the thumb, but maybe next spring.

There has been some progress and some stepbacks (is that english.. I'm sorry, my english is a little "Finglish" sometimes...)

I just noticed that she has some new movement in her left thumb, and that is just GREAT! Bad news is that her shoulder movement is getting a bit stiff and she is loosing some range of motion there. I have to start relly focusing on the streches here at home...

Suvi is very lively and happy little girl, she has two new hobbies, horseback riding and she is also a girl scout (BB-spirit stuff, you know).

She has now had two riding lessons and is loving it. It isn't very easy for her and the things that one stears the horse with (don't know the word, please fill me in) are slipping all the time. But I'm trying to figure out how to make it easier for her. The teacher said that Suvi's enthusiasm covers a lot of the lack in hand function.. :o)

Well, this is for now. All the best to everybody!!!!
njbirk

Re: Here after a LOOOONG time / Update on Suvi

Post by njbirk »

Krista,

How nice to hear from you after so long.
Glad to hear that Suvi is doing so well. She's not a baby anymore. How time flies.

Now that you have found us again, visit more often.

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Krista
So nice to hear from you. It has been a long time and Suvi has grown quite a bit and enjoying life.

I hope you come back more often and visit.
It is so nice when parents of older children come and post all the progress their children have made.
I am sure it is encouraging to those with very young children.

Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Krista,
I Thank you very very much for Updating us on Suvi. I get sooo inspired when I read posts on all fellow BPI-ers especially the "Young'uns". Please continue to keep us "up" on Suvi's progress on school & everything else.

HUGS all around,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI,68, WA (State)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kwest

Post by Kwest »

Hi Krista!!! It is so good to hear from you. Remember our trip to backwoods New York/Vermont? What fun! I'm glad to hear Suvi is doing well. She sounds exactly like Cameron (she just turned 8) -- Cameron loves horses too and is in adaptive riding lessons.

She is also stiffening in the shoulder and doesn't have the overhead she once did. We stretch, so I don't believe that's an issue. We've been advised about another muscle release but I'm beginning to question, 'where does it end?' Are muscle releases going to be an every five years process?

Anyway, it is great to see you on the boards again. I'm a lurker most of the time anymore but was so glad to hear about you!
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Krista,
Its great to see you back here. Its a strange coincidence that you posted an update right now, I just looked at the web page you had for Suvi and was wondering how she was and how old she was. She is two I think on the website, and nows she is seven. Wow how time flies! She sounds like she is doing awesome though!

Would you mind sending me a recent pic? I have some pics of me and updates about my progress since we last chated, I think I was only about 14 then, and I am 19 now. They are on my website if you want to check it out:

www.freewebs.com/bpimn

Thanks again for the update!
Hugs,
Amy 19 years old ROBPI from MN
hope16_05@hotmail.com

ps the things you hold on to to "stear" the horese are called reigns (I may have spelled that wrong)
I hope Suvi has a wonderful time horeback riding!
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi Krista
Lovely to see you back and I can't believe Suvi is seven already!
I know exactly what you mean about the reins slipping, here's a link to site that sells adaptive riding gear. http://www.freedomrider.com/bridle2a.html These ladder reins are great even with one hand.
I hope Suvi continues riding, it's a great thing to do:)
Jen NZ

I