any adult had the tendon lengthening surgery?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
tnmoore

any adult had the tendon lengthening surgery?

Post by tnmoore »

Wondering if any adult has had the tendon lengthening in their elbow. If yes how many degrees did you gain from it, who did it, and were there any complications-such as nerve damage or loss of flexion? Nicole
clover80

Re: any adult had the tendon lengthening surgery?

Post by clover80 »

Hi Nicole,

I just barely had it done last week (August 29th). Dr. Nath in Houston performed the surgery. He straightened my arm about 20 degrees during surgery and the remaining 20 degree contracture will be straightened through serial casting over the next 10 weeks.

Let me know if you have any more questions... smckay317@hotmail.com. I don't log onto this site very frequently.

Staci (26) -SLC
ROBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Congratulations Stacy!!
I'm glad you posted & let us all know how your surgery went.
Take it easy and have a good recovery time,OK?

HUGS all around & Camp2007 or Bust!,
Carolyn J
LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Staci
Wow... that is great news!

Let us know how the casting works out.

Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I love how much support is on this website. 3 weeks down and 7 more to go with my arm in a cast. My cute pink one (props to Dr. Nath and his team- and inspired by my painted fingernails) came off yesterday and a new one put right back on. I had fears of mold growing under my cast, but after the unveiling, all my worries pretty much went away. I did however get kind of a weak stomach when my OT was stretching my arm and re-casting it. But all is well and my only complaint is a burning sensation in my good shoulder/neck area. I imagine from over-compensation with the weight of the cast. Heat and massages are helping that :)

My arm is getting straighter and I can lift it much higher -now that my bicep is being prevented from trying to do all the work.

Good times

Staci (26)
ROBPI

P.S.

Nancy just sent me a bunch of Outreach brochures - they are wonderful and I am so excited to meet people next year at camp! A whole year away- I can hardly wait.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Staci,
Sounds like all is going well after your surgery, thats great news!

Funny you mention that you got a weak stomach after you got your cast off. Every time I get a cast off I get extremely light headed and all goes black, but only for a moment. Still have no idea why, last time I think my cast was off for probably a half hour before I got light headed. The first time it was only a matter of minutes. Its strange.

Do you mind if I ask what the purpose behind your surgery was? Like what were you expecting to gain from this surgery. I really know nothing about it and am always curious to learn. Were your biceps over powering your triceps?

Hope the rest of your recovery goes awesome! And you are not in any pain.

Maybe I will be able to meet you at the next camp, I went last year and have to go next year, its really cool!

Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Amy,

The reason I had surgery is because of a contracture.. yeah basically because my bicep has been overcompensating for my weak tricep, etc. When I tried to lift my arm, I would only get to about 60 degrees before my bicep would kick in and try and lift my arm. Already with my cast on I can lift my arm so much higher. I need to have my OT measure me, but I'm well over 90 degrees. Before my Mod Quad surgery in January I could only actively lift it about 30 degrees. So, it's really exciting.

And another reason, my right arm was several inches shorter than my left when I had my arms down to my side. So it will nice not having to re-position my arms for pictures, etc. if you know what I mean.

It's funny because everyone I come in contact with is always like, "your poor arm, what happened?" I have to explain my injury because nobody even knew there was anything wrong to begin with. People just expect me to say I had a water skiing accident or somthing. So, they are shocked when I tell them the story behind the cast.

Thanks for taking an interest... I know you are a very busy college student.

Staci
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Staci,
I definitely know the feeling of having to explain to every one about a cast, last year I came to college with a splint on that I had to wear all the time except shower. Or risk losing the outcome of my surgery all because I was in a wrong splint for a week post cast removal. It sucked. I think I did tell about 1000 people about bpi's though

Your recovery sounds awesome! Keep up the great work, a lot more should come with therapy. Good Luck!!

Amy 19 ROBPI from MN

oh and thanks for explaining what your surgery was for. I am always looking for something else for my arm, but it doesnt sound like I would benefit from that surgery. Glad you are though!
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN