How to encourage tummy time

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
John Rafter

How to encourage tummy time

Post by John Rafter »

My daughter is recovering from paralysis of her shoulder and biceps. She is 7 months old now. To build up strength we were practising tummy time with her. That went really well, should could lean on her arms for about 5 minutes.

Now she has learned to turn to her back. Of course that is a good development but the down side is that it's very hard to keep her on her tummy for more than a minute.

Does anybody has experience with this? Any tips or solutions for this?

John
admin
Site Admin

Re: How to encourage tummy time

Post by admin »

-a water play mat that has plastic fishies in it
-putting her over your leg with a toy on the other end
-using a boppy or other bolsters
-making it as fun as possible, distract her with other things
BIGJAVSMA

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

An AQUADOODLE mat. at any toy store. they love them. once jody figured out how to flip over we bascically had to try everything to get him on his tummy.

you could also make a fun tummy mat. with bells, and textures and squishy stuff to touch.

Marlyn

good luck
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Dear John,

I also sent this to your email....

Dear John,

I totally appreciate your concerns, I too was very intent upon that tummy time. So intent that I actually re-lactated when I understood that my brachial plexus injured infant would benefit from that contact. Anyway, I am not writing to suggest that your child's mother lactate or re-lactate, I am just trying to illustrate my determination for my infant's recovery and compassion for your concerns.

What helped me and my daughter? The great outdoors. My infant daughter and I spent hours outdoors on a blanket, and when the weather got warmer on the grass on our tummies. Before my daughter turned one year old, she spent more time on the grassy areas of our local parks then she did in bed. (Although she did sleep alot on those grassy areas.) While we were on our tummies I introduced things that she could reach for, and balls that she could balance on. We had alot of fun.

Anyway when we were on those grassy areas, my baby spent hundreds of hours pulling grass, and digging for rocks, and most importantly searching for me --- to climb on me and to push, pull and tug on me. Oh! And another thing. I never used a carriage. I always carried my child against the front of my body in a sling, which I know sounds really primitive but if you learn how to adjust it for your needs like walking through the grocery, intimate walks, while working at your computer, cleaning the house; it is just amazing the contact that you can make. I totally count my sling time with my child as tummy time and instrumental toward her recovery

Today my child is not 100% recovered, but in all this process I have a wonderful bond with her and I know that all the park time contributed to her recovery -- not to mention that we made alot of friends,

Sincerely and honestly,

Lizzie
Mother to a severe brachial plexus injured child

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lizzie...I have nursed both my children so I am all for it but i guess I am ignorant. how do you re-lactate? had you weaned for a while or just a few days?
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Guest,

I had not weaned, that is, slowly shifted from my milk. I stopped rather suddenly becuase my employer would not permit me to breast pump. While struggling with my employer and with trying to learn about the infant brachial plexus injury, I stopped. My child took the formula, for about a week I went through great breast pain. Then after about four more weeks of research about the brachial plexus injured child, I learned that contact with the mother was very important. I didn't do anything unusual, I just put my child back on my breast. In the beginning she didn't get much, but after about two weeks she preferred me.

Lizzie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lizzie:
thanks for the info...that is great to know
AK1999

Post by AK1999 »

We had a Winnie the Pooh toy cassette player with
a piglet microphone that our child was mesmerized with.

Just a lot of floor time is good even if the baby rolls over. We never used walkers or activity centers
in order to promote tummy time.