Your favorite things

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
njbirk

Your favorite things

Post by njbirk »

I'm preparing an article for the next Outreach about things that we have found we can't live without. I know we have all shared from time to time about products we have found that help us live a better life.

If you'd like to participate in the article, please email me (nancy@ubpn.org) with your idea(s). I can either attribute your quote to you or we can do it anonymously.

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Your favorite things

Post by Carolyn J »

Hi Nancy,
I cannot live WITHOUT: 1) MY Handicapped Parking Card for our car AND 2) my rubber, or soft & furry Balls of the "right size(depending on level of contracture Pain)for my LBPI Hand[I call it my "Iron Claw"because it gets so tight I cannot get it to release]..oh, and 3)Depends when I travel or have a long day away from home...LOL!! I am no longer too proud...LOL
Hugs all around,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

I'm not the BPI, but I would say (if it were me) SUPPORT is the thing I wouldn't want to live without.

Emma isn't in the right frame of mind to ask this question at the moment; she's got a girlfriend over and they are being oh so silly, so... maybe later on after her friend goes home I'll ask her.
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

I recently purchased a rock. *L* Yes, a replica of a rock made out of clay. It is a rock you can heat up like a tea bag. It has different points for different areas of your body. I can use my good arm and reach around to the shoulder area of my poor arm and massage it. It sounds funny but I honestly cannot live with out it anymore. If anyone is interested in a rock let me know. I'll have to dig out the website of the gal who makes them.
Perhaps I'm a goofball...but the rock rocks!!
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Rachel

I love that line - " I have to dig out the website"

LOL...

Send it to me please I am always looking for something to warm my bpi arm.

Kath ( adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Rachel,
I want to have a rock to,so start "digging" for the web site.
Hugs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Joy in FL

Post by Joy in FL »

I suddenly see a picture of the Seven Dwarfs running around in your computer trying to dig up the site for all of us!

Wow, I really need to check my meds!

Hi, ho hi ho it's off to work I go....
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
Joy in FL

Post by Joy in FL »

Sorry it is HEIGH HO. You know us BP people we can't spell! :wink:
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Bumping this up again.
I'm putting the article together now, so, this is a 'last call'. Come on and share what you've found works for you and makes living with a bpi just a little bit easier.

You can email to me directly (nancy@ubpn.org) or post here. Be sure to let me know how you want your name published.

Nancy Birk
UBPN President