humeral osteotomy? sp?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

humeral osteotomy? sp?

Post by admin »

Does anyone know anything about the forearm or humeral osteotomy surgery? My child might have to get this surgery, and I am curious of others outcomes with it. Thanks so much.

Mom2Michael

Re: humeral osteotomy? sp?

Post by Mom2Michael »

I don't know anything about it - but it is a possibility for my son, too, so I am interested in any info, too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In 2003, the Ghering family wrote up the story of their daughter's surgery and put it in their newsletter. Francine has it on her site. http://www.injurednewborn.com/gehring.html

We're scheduled for one, too and are planning to meet with Dr. Davino in the next couple of months to get his take on it. I've heard really good things about Dr. Davino so far.
blakesmom

Post by blakesmom »

my son had this done a year ago. when he first came out of the cast, he looked great and was finally in nuetral. He broke his wrist a week later and they casted him just like anybody else, when he should have been casted in nuetral. So, now he is stuck pronated again. I wish we would realized then that it would make a difference. His was the humeral osteotomy and it was done in TX, we live in IL so our ortho here at home doesn't have a lot of experience in BPI. Now we have been told that he needs the forearm osteotomy. We will probably schedule this for early next year so he isn't casted in the summer. Is your child stuck in pronation or supination?

Crystal
scriby95@verizon.net
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Crystal,
have you thought about Mayo clinic in MN thats a lot closer than Texas. Although I have not experienced their bpi clinic I have heard great things about them. I have also read a lot about them on the Mayo website. Just a thought. I know they have on fantastic hand surgeon there, but I have not met the bpi team, just heard and read about them.

Good luck with your son.
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Allison

Post by Allison »

GAmom

Post by GAmom »

My son had a humeral osteotomy done this past August and is doing great. We are very pleased with the surgery. There are a few things that he is now learning how to do correctly but other than that we are pleased. Feel free to email me with any questions. I would be happy to answer them. I hope I helped.
Merry Christmas!

Ashley, mom to Brayden 2 1/2 yrs ROBPI, GA
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Chrystal,
When in Illinois do you live? We live just south of the WI border >
blakesmom

Post by blakesmom »

brandonsmom

I live in Washington, IL, just across the river from Peoria. We are about 3hrs from Chicago. email me and I can give you some helpful IL info as far as insurance is concerned that you may not know about.

Crystal
scriby95@verizon.net
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for all the replies. Has your child had any other surgeries and did any of your children have avulsions? Normally when people say they have great results my child's injury does not react as favorably and although I know every child's injury is different. I wonder if it is becuase of the avulsion? This keeps me up at night, it is so hard to want another surgery when the last one wasn't as successful as hoped.