New in North Carolina

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
AmyBrowne

New in North Carolina

Post by AmyBrowne »

Hi, my name is Amy and I have a 4 month old daughter, named Scarlett who was born with a left brachial plexus injury. She has movement in her finger and wrist and can lift her arm up about 40 degrees when she is laying on her back. We just moved to North Carolina (from Florida) and because of insurance, are back to the beginning with her care. She goes to see her pediatrician next week , who, will set me up with an OT again. I've been told since she doesn't bend her arm at the elbow, that she is a surgical candidate. I contacted early intervention and am waiting to hear back from them so she can be evaluated.
We have retained an attorney to sue the OB and hospital in Florida. Our attorney wants us to have Scarlett be seen by Dr. Grossman in Miami. I'm freaking out over the cost of having her evaluated and surgery by someone out of network. I'm wondering if I should be contacting Dr. Nath too, for a second opinion. How are other people dealing with the cost for surgeries?
I have read a few post on this site and been in tears as I've read stories that hit so close to home. I, too, have and am still dealing with guilt that I should have done something to prevent my child from this injury. My OB, who delivered my second child, never told me what the risks were or that I could have had a c-section to avoid this type of injury. I look at my daughter and it makes me sad that she will have to deal with this the rest of her life. I'm looking for some support and guidance. I feel like my daughter is the only one out there. I've never seen another child with this type of injury. Geez, I had never even heard of it until after she was born. I want to make a different and educate other about this preventable injury.
I have 5 children at home; two step-children ages 11 and 13, and three girls ages 4 months, 2 and 5.
thanks, Amy
I can be contacted by email at ravenmadi@bellsouth.net
needmorshoes

Re: New in North Carolina

Post by needmorshoes »

This is (usually) a great place to share feelings and gather information. There are people here who are very knowledgable. There is actually a surgeon in from Texas that will be in NC this weekend. His name is Dr. Saleh Shenaq. He is truly a wonderful man and a great asset to the Brachial Plexus Community. He will be with another great doctor named Dr. Nelson in Charlotte, NC on Saturday. If you live close and want to go, call Tanya (Dr. Nelson's nurse) at 704-355-4457. If you can make it, I strongly suggest that you attend. It will be great to see Dr. Shenaq PLUS you can network with other parents; that is valuable. Good luck to you. Some things DO get better with time, you are just starting out... it will be rocky, but we are here. Please let us know if we can help you.
admin
Site Admin

Re: New in North Carolina

Post by admin »

Hi Amy, I am in NC also. We see Dr. Shenaq from Texas when he comes to NC for clinics. If I can be of any help to you just e mail me. softballmom09@hotmail.com