Muchas Gracias my dear friends......

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Makai's Mom

Muchas Gracias my dear friends......

Post by Makai's Mom »

Yesterday after a tense 30 minute phone call to our case manager at EI, I felt like I was finally standing up for my beloved Makai. I mentioned how I didn't understand how he didn't qualify and she seemed quite annoyed. She told me HER reason again and then I told her why IIIIIIII objected. I explained that Erbs Palsy can also fall under BPI. BPI???? She said...What is that??? After I explained BPI and told her how to spell it(b/c she didn't know and asked), she said she needed to do some research on her end and would get back to me on Friday. Well the call came today and she stated that I was right and that if I could get the Dr. to put Makai having BPI in writing, then he would qualify automatically. Now I just need to get it in writing. Wish me luck.

Thanks to everyone that told me to keep pushing and to try and get qualified under BPI. It's almost like a loop hole. Some of you really know your
stuff(sh!@#$^&*t)!!! After being rejected flat out, I turned things around with knowledge and persistence. Knowledge really is power. The case manager wanted to know how I knew all of this information suddenly. Hahahah.... My team of personal cheerleaders. That's how.

Thank Youuuuuuuuuuu,

Michelle
dmom

Re: Muchas Gracias my dear friends......

Post by dmom »

Michelle:

Congratulations! Yay! I am so happy to hear this. Your persistence and determination paid off.

I've learned this in the four years since my son Danny was injured, and it kind of describes this constant persistence you HAVE to have. I just say, "Whenever I'm trying to get what Danny needs and I run into a brick wall, I just mow it down!"

Sad that we have to be that way, but you sound like a good "brick-wall mower!" I hope all continues to go well!

Janet
Makai's Mom

Post by Makai's Mom »

Thanks again!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My husband has told me too many times that when it comes to my son I have a "$#@%&" switch that I flip on adn then watch out. It is sad to say that he is right, but if I do not fight for my son, who will? I know he won't, you know, doesn't have the time !!!
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

Congratulations, Michelle! You sound so empowered. I'm really happy for you. It seems like some people have to say EP, some have to say BPI, and for some it doesn't matter what they say. It's good that you're getting experience in advocating now b/c it's something that you'll likely have to continue to do. If you can, I'd try to get PT weekly and OT weekly. Of course, they might not give you both weekly, but it's worth a try. We had PT weekly and OT 2x/month and later reversed that mix. Some people are even able to get aqua therapy through EI, but we did the Aqua PT through our regular health insurance. Anyway, keep the momentum going and keep up the great work!

~Tina, bpmom@comcast.net, mom to Nicole (6 y.o. w/LOBPI) & Joshua (1 y.o. w/NOBPI)
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Michelle
Keep strong and stay on the course your on.
My mother was the most gentle soul and always so kind and respectful of others...
Except when it came to medical care, for me, she really had a battle to get information and treatment...
but she DID it!

I guess that is where I get my strength.
I have three children and 5 grandchildren.
My husband use to say" It's better to bite a tiger on the tail then to mess with my kids" and he is right.

I am so happy that you feel empowered.
Kath (adult/obpi 65)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi