Speech Therapy before 2 years old?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Speech Therapy before 2 years old?

Post by admin »

Hello all,
I am searching for parents with experience with Speech Therapy for their little one.
I found out that not only did Veronica (20mo. now) suffer a broken clavicle and LOBPP (stretch),
She also had too much pressure behind her left ear at birth that did some damage to her cranial nerves. (Woods Manuever)

I cannot find enough information out there to help me get her the best care with therapies at home.

She sees her ENT soon. I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experince, and can/will shed some hope my way.

I thought that last cranial nerve #12, would kick in by now. That one controls the tonuge. We use it to eat, and pronounciate. I want that tonuge working (without surgery!)

I'll take any advice, or therapy ideas.

THANK YOU,
SusanLynn
jeni

Re: Speech Therapy before 2 years old?

Post by jeni »

Hi,

we started speech at 23 months, My little one wasn't even saying mommy or daddy. Check with your states IE program (early intervention) sometimes called 1st steps, to help find a pediatric speech pathologist.
You may need to go to the Dept of mental health, or maybe try your school districts parents as teachers program. Our Parents as Teachers rep was incredible helping us navigate our way thru red tape
hope this helps
god bless
jeni
claudia

Post by claudia »

My daughter started speech therapy when she was about 18 months old. She was completely silent. The only sound she uttered was "vroom" when she played with a car. She didn't say mommy or daddy either.

It took a year, but with the help of a fabulous speech therapist, she started to talk. She is now 5 and in Kindergarten and she just will not be quiet!!

She has mouth sensory issues. She drooled as a toddler too.

Definately go to your Birth to Three program.

good luck,
claudia
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With regards to the 12th cranial nerve and tongue issues: if that nerve is affected does the tongue work at all? My 2 year old has problems with pronounciation and tongue and jaw movement too and was never told anything about the cranial nerves. He can move his tongue, but not completely the correct way yet.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can he move his tongue from side to side?
Can he lick?

How was he delivered?

Take a look around in here:

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=-60096508
T. Redden

Post by T. Redden »

My daughter started speech theropy when she was 18 months and it has helped her alot. I am very happy they started her early.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My daughter did not start speech that early, but we talked about it. From what I understand, there are a lot of oral motor skills that can be worked on for pre-speech at a younger age. I remember our therapist talking to us about using bubbles, straws, whistles and other things to help develop the oral motor skills needed for speech development. We were also told to stop using a sippy cup.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does he move his tongue from side to side?

Here's an informative link:
http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=-60096508
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hi i started my sons speech therapy at 12 mths all he said at that time were a couple sounds,i knew something then was not right hes had speech now for almost 10yrs the only thing hes working on now is certain letter sounds,hes a great talker.the sooner therapy the better
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lin:
Did your son have eating/ drinking challenges as well? How long did he go to a speach therapist?
I know everyone is completely different, just curious.
Thank you,
SusanLynn