Changes in Houston

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
shaesmom

Changes in Houston

Post by shaesmom »

I haven't been checking in for a while. What's been going on in Texas? I see that Dr. Nath is no longer with TCH. He performed primary & secondary surgeries on my daughter. I went to 1 year post-op appt with Shenaq at TCH. Do I go to 2nd year post op review to TCH (Shenaq) or to Nath? Neither doctor's offices can give me a definitive answer. They both say it's up to me. Has anyone out there moved from TCH to Nath's office? Or have most people stayed with TCH? I just want what is best for my daughter.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Changes in Houston

Post by admin »

We went with Dr Nath and we are very happy.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you trusted Dr. Nath to do two surgeries on your daughter, then why not stay with him? Hermann hospital (see post about it) has good reviews so far. And anyway, the hospital does not make the surgery, the surgeon does. The most important thing is what happens inside your child. Best of luck.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I desagree with the guest opinion. Brachial plexus surgery in my understanding is a very complex procedure.
The Hospital where you are trusting your child to be under anesthesia, for an extensive amount, is just as important as the surgery.
There are many people involved during surgery. An experienced surgical team is as important as an experienced surgeon, specially in BP surgery.
We chose to go to Miami Children's Hospital not only because of Dr Grossman but also for the reputation of their multidisciplinary brachial plexus program.
I hope this gives you another point of view.
Good luck
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We stayed with Shenaq as we do not agree with a lot of Nath's views. We personally feel that he can be too aggressive. Not to mention the fact that we simply had a very negative experience with him. Ultimately, you will need to make your own decision. Please keep an open mind; Nath is not the only doctor out there, there are doctors in several cities that are just as qualified and talented. I think that sometimes the rest of the BPI docs that work so hard for our kids get forgotten...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I desagree with the guest opinion. Brachial plexus surgery in my understanding is a very complex procedure.
The Hospital where you are trusting your child to be under anesthesia, for an extensive amount, is just as important as the surgery.
There are many people involved during surgery. An experienced surgical team is as important as an experienced surgeon, specially in BP surgery.
We chose to go to Miami Children's Hospital not only because of Dr Grossman but also for the reputation of their multidisciplinary brachial plexus program.
I hope this gives you another point of view.
Good luck
claudia

Post by claudia »

Both doctors are right... the choice IS up to you! YOU make the medical decisions for your child, not the doctors. They make their recommendations, you make the decisions.

I think that a better idea is to go to both doctors. They are both in Houston, so you don't need to make separate trips.

good luck,
claudia
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BPI needs a team approach, you need to check each team, both the new one with Dr Nath and the restructuring at TCH. I agree with Claudia, you are in Houston anyway, go to both. Good doctors do not mind that.
dmom

Post by dmom »

We moved from TCH to Dr. Nath, since he did both of the surgeries on our son and we think he hung the moon. It was nothing against TCH or Dr. Shenaq; we never even met him. Dr. Nath's new office is only a few blocks down from TCH, so it was no big deal.

I know a few moms who are in the same quandary and have gone to both doctors and now can't decide what to do. If you liked Dr. Nath as your daughter's surgeon, I'd say go to him for the sake of continuity. Good luck to you!

Janet
blakesmom

Post by blakesmom »

What is the deal with insurance and Dr. Nath? I know there were some issues about a year ago, is Dr. Nath accepting private insurance now?