Picture page

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
smith727

Picture page

Post by smith727 »

Anyone interested in a picture page so that we can see what we all look like? I have somewebspace available that they could be posted to if anyone is interested.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: Picture page

Post by cbe411 »

I have a yahoo group site set up with ictures on it of peeps from here who are interested. Heres the link... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPI-friends/ This is a site that you need to 'join' with my approval, so as not to get many loon balls.... feel free to check it out.

Court xx
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

I just signed up for the picture page. I do have a picture of the splint I had to wear as a baby--it may interest someone out there. If for no other reason than to realize they actually called it erb's Palsy and splinting was the treatment of the day.
Pat
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Hi Pat,
Just me being curious...what decade/year did you have your surgery and wear that splint?
See ya in October,I hope.
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Pat
I wore a splint for 11 months for Erb's Palsy they knew what to call it when I was born. It was like a corset on the bottom it laced up around my entire trunk. my arm was strapped up in what they called the traffic cop position. My hand was strapped so that my palm faced my ear. It was made of velvet, leather and had some steel bars in in to support my hand.

My mother gave me the brace when I got married and made me promise to keep it. I had a pipe break in my house in 1991 and thew it out because it got wet. I did not think it would ever matter to me or anyone else to see it. so instead of letting it dry out I ditched it... Now I am sorry I wish I had kept it.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mine was like a cast that forced my arm in the cop position--at least it was up. My mom said my arm was straight before the splint--but the splint held my arm up with the elbow bent and it never straightened again.
Just have to figure out this weird scanner. I can do a present picture with the digital--but haven't messed with the scanner. I think it's interesting that since 1953 they still splint basically the same way.
I didn't have any surgery. Just the splint--and years of PT. My mom also massaged my arm in warm water twice a day--even when I had the splint. She thinks that is why my arms are almost the same circumference and hands aren't real different in size. I don't think it's noticable at all until I look at pictures--then I'm shocked by that short crooked arm. It doesn't look that way to me when I look at my hands-- it's those darn mirrors and pictures
Eryy Christmas!!! Pat
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Pat
I was massaged with warm olive oil and of course range of motion was part of the daily routine.The brace was only removed a few times a day to massage and do rom. My elbow was bent also and that was in 1940. I was braced 24/7 for my first 11 months. The statue of liberty cast that the children wear today is a bit different when it comes to the position of the arm and shoulder... The brace held my arm in this position __]] it was bent at the elbow. It was out in a direct line with my shoulder. I think it was an attempt to knit the nerves (that is the way they described it to my Mom.) I think the brace was also and attempt to keep my arm in the neutral position when it came off. It is almost as if they were setting a broken bone instead of dealing with nerves... but they did as best as they could 65 years ago.
My arm hangs so it is not apparent unless I move because I use my shoulder to move my arm. I have no external rotation and lacking bicep function among other things... so my arm hangs unless I remind myself to use it... I am also not aware of the way I appear unless I catch it in a mirror or a photo... I can't supinate my hand is pronated. I have had no surgery either because most babies died during surgery back then, so my Mom said NO...
It was never offered to her after that. They kept tell my Mom how lucky we were that I was alive and when I finally got some movement how great that was that I had any movement at all.
Merry Christmas back to you
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath

Post by Kath »

Just moving this up for those who are not aware of Courtney's yahoo photo site for all of us bpi people.
There are both obpi/tbpi at this site...

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Caro

Post by Caro »

Hi there.

My name is Caroline ans I just joined the UBPN message boards.

I'm a 36 year old OBPI and would like to make a connection with others.

I am investigating the surgical options with Dr. Nath and looking for outreach opportunities from those that may have also gone this route.

I would like to join your photo group as well.

Thank you.

-Caroline Racine
caroracine@comcast.net