Amputation

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Karin

Re: Amputation

Post by Karin »

I am ne wto this site and ran across your information. I have said numerous times that if it was possible to take all the pain away I would be willing to have my arm amputated. My only worry is that it will not take away the pain in my upper back/scapula and neck. Where was the location of your pain? Was it in your arm only or in more areas? Thankyou Karin
Susie Kaye

Post by Susie Kaye »

Hi Everyone,

I had my arm amputated on 8/25/03. It was taken off at the shoulder socket. It hasn't helped my nerve pain, but the pain to my neck and back is a lot better. No more problems with the dead arm swinging around and being limp and in the way all the time.

I have had some different kinds of back pain that the physical therapist has given me exercises to do to strengthen my neck and back. It seems to be helping.

The surgery itself wasn't very painful at all. Most of what was cut was dead so I couldn't feel the incision. That part was great because it had over a hundred staples in it.

I'll tell you all, even though it didn't help my nerve pain, knowing what I know now, I would do it again. I am better off without the dead arm. A prosthesis would only be for looks, not function, so I'm no bothering with one.

I've had a lot of people tell me I stand up and walk straighter now. They think I look better than with the dead arm.

I hope my experience will help inform others about their options. If anyone has any questions, just ask.

SusieKaye
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi there, folks. I had my arm amputated AE 18 months ago after a biking accident which left it broken in 8 places with no movement left at all below the elbow. I took the decision to go for the amp - and it was the best thing I ever did in 3 years.

I have been fitted with various prosthetic limbs and although a bit cumbersome - at least I can do some things well - having practised long and hard. I can ski, surf, skateboard, type, cook, ride my m/cycle again. I mostly wear a hook for "normal" activities - and feel much more "normal" now than having a lump of useless flesh hanging down.

Yes, people look - but it is how I feel that counts. I now am "me".
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Just bumping this to the top in response to Joe's questions.