ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Mrsjmkcrash

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by Mrsjmkcrash »

My husband Jim found this site and posted most of my history a few days ago. The thread he started is called BPI vs RSD.I have enjoyed the few threads I have read, and plan to be more active in the future once I feel more comfortable with my posting skills. Slow and steady is, well slow and steady.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Happy New Year!
I'm currently crunching the numbers on this thread again (last update a couple of pages ago) so if you want to be included in the stats please add your details-who you are, how you got your tbpi and where you are in the world.
Thank you to those who added themselves so far, 144 at last count, with the commonest causes road accidents and surgeon error.
I'll add the update soon :0)
Jen NZ
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

whoops, the number added to this tread is 175, not 144, I forgot to add those who didn't specify location.
Take care all :0)
thepud

Post by thepud »

I'm Laurie and I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I've had my BPI for two years and it sucks because it's my dominant arm and hand that are screwed up. I got my injury from the pack of orangutans who placed me wrong on the operating table during a routine surgery.
Texas Robin

Post by Texas Robin »

This is Robin from Texas, we live south of Dallas. I'm new to this site too. My son Cody has a ltbpi due to a 4-wheeler accident in Aug of 04. Had his surgery Dec. 04. I have already learned a lot from this site. What is the DREZ lesion surgery?

Thanks, Robin
Texas Robin

Post by Texas Robin »

Paula, What part of Texas are you from?

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Robin, I was going to ask you the same question...I am from south of Houston. I would like to talk to you. My email address is pfaye2002@yahoo.com. Write anytime.
Paula
jennyb

Post by jennyb »

well, I did it........first crunch in ages. Here goes...

Total tbpi now on this thread 206
Of those who specified there were 130 males,68 females. All studies I have seen indicate tbpi is far commoner in males than females. As a high impact trauma injury that's not surprising, I guess. 31 new injuries since last crunching is not good to see :0(

Causes where specified break down as follows

Motorcycle 81
Car/Truck accident 24
Physician caused 22
Pedestrian hit by vehicle 9
Quad bike/ATV 9
Bicycle 5
Snowmobile 4
Tree falling 4
Fall 3
Airbag 3
Powerboat accident 2
Gunshot 2
Horseriding 2
Overuse at work 2
Rugby League 1
Virus 1
Snowboarding 1
Skiing 1
Ski lift 1
Tumour 1
Throwing softball 1
Knocked over by dog 1
Tractor/posthole digger 1
Sign falling 1
Wall falling 1
Heavy door falling 1
X ray equipment falling 1
Climbing accident 1
Waterski accident 1
Jetski 1
Playground accident 1
Football 1
Watching movie 1
Exercise bike fall 1
Combine 1
Bus accident 1

A couple of new causes there, virus and rugby league injury. I wonder how many of these tbpi had significant recovery since they first posted?

Nationalities where specified

USA 126
England 24
Scotland 6
Ireland 1
Isle of Man 1
Canada 5
Australia 4
New Zealand 3
South Africa 2
Jordan 1
Italy 1
Portugal 1
Singapore 1
Israel 1
Togo 1

Lovely to meet you all, as Chris said, we are all survivors, keep it up!!
Jen NZ
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Jenny
Thanks so much for doing this job.
I am glad people keep posting to the thread because it helps others realize how many different ways this injury can occur.

I was looking for C-Section caused then realized it was under Physician caused... duh...
Oh Well, its early in the New Year.

Thanks again
Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

Jen,

You are a SWEETHEART to pull all this together, time after time. It's fascinating.

How did the person watching a movie get the bpi???

Take care & Happy New Year!

Ellen