thanks Bill let us know if you fine him. Paul
Paul

Re: Surgery has any one had any success

Post by Paul »

Find where's the spell checker Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

Has any one goten thair arm to move say after 2 0r 3 years or more. My biceipt is now starting to move, on a flat table with a towle I can bend at the elbo and bring my hand torard my chest. Paul
karlos

Post by karlos »

Hi paul
Im 5 yrs down the road now and can honestly say after 3 yrs i didnt recouver any more movement, but saying that the muscles that have recouverd can only get stronger, eg after 3 yrs your arm may not have enough strengh to flex but after 5 yrs the muscles that work may have built up enough to start the elbow flexing( do you get my drift).
theres also the mouscle/tendon transfer route that can be performed at any time post accident
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Paul, I don't know how long it's been since your injury happened, my biceps came in exactly as you describe around 2 yrs post injury. It remained weak for years until i had kids,(8 years post injury) when i had to use it a bit to support them when i carried them. As they grew, so my biceps got stronger. my youngest child is now 3, she is heavier than the others were and i still see improvement in the muscle, it's now 22 yrs post injury. i can now lift my across my body to my chest and hold it there for quite a while, and use it to carry light things like clothes etc. I didn't have surgery, this recovery was spontaneous, and, I might add, not predicted.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Karlos thanks for your response. The answer to your qution is no and I read your letter 5 times and do not under stand. I am saying at 3 years post accident I could feel my bycept coming back and could beed at the elbo on table towards my chest. I can not left in the air aginst gravety put I hop to in a week or 2 the way I see me progracing. Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

Jennyb thank you very much for your response its very helpfull I had a faild intercostail oparation and I am scheduled for a May 15th op for grizel to biceps using the uner nerve. I am going to see the doc May 6 th for my final pre op vist. I will sertinlly ask his opinono. thanks Paul sorry about the spelling
Paul

Post by Paul »

well I saw Dr. Wolf today I was not real happy with the prospects he wants to use the ulnar he says 3 or 4 pounds left after a year or two. Paul
cbr9

Post by cbr9 »

i underwent a drez procedure, i only had a month and a half relief of extreme pain. has since come back.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Lizzy thank you thank you. I saw my topic stalling so I went back to reread some responses and I found a web site conected to your profile which I have now saved and will check on a regular bases. I do'nt know how to drag and put a web sit on this posting. But I will try to. thanks Paul