ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
EddieConroy

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by EddieConroy »

Hi my name is Eddie, I live in Los Angeles. I have an right arm bpi from a motorcycle accident.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Tell us more Eddie. What date? I have right side also 2/28/99. Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm Henry from Ontario, Canada. Right arm bpi in 82, amputated a year later. Still lotsa pain. Recently found this group and find it hugely interesting.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi all newbies, I let the roll call slip outta sight there, thanks for bringing it back up to the top. I will crunch numbers again soon.....so if you want to be counted please post on this thread who you are, where you got injured and how, and which arm.....thanks guys :0)
RonnieV

Post by RonnieV »

Hello All,

I am Ronnie, 30 year old female, I served in the USCG, played rugby in college, climbed most of Mt. McKinley in Alaska, ride motorcycles and dirt bikes, white water raft, and not until some drunk yahoo trapped me into a ski chair, and I was hanging by my right arm did I become a member of the TBPI bad luck club. This meaage board has been my saviour, I thank everybody for theit advice, words of kindness, and support......now, onto the next poor soul to join us...
Be well everyone................
RonnieV

Post by RonnieV »

PS.....My accident was 2/21/03, right arm, so I am a new member to the club, and I know in my last message my spelling looked like an accident itself, sorry for that, but you know how trying to type with tbpi can be.
Take care folks.......
Ronne...
mdc124

Post by mdc124 »

Matthew, Right BPI from '99 and an OAP Driver losing concentration on a country lane. Getting on with it now. See: http://www.farend.co.uk
jjanney

Post by jjanney »

Hello BPIer's of the world! I'm late for yet another roll call...
My name is Jessica. My brother, Chris, was recently (dec. 15th '02) in a motorcycle accident, he avulsed C5,6,& 7 and injured C8 and T1.
I want to thank the beautiful people on this network that have given us advice and helped us on our way in the past few months . Your efforts will always be remembered and appreciated. After an extensive quest for the ultimate doctor we landed at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Chris underwent major surgery on april 15th '03. Here we go.... C7 cross hemi (from the good arm), innervating the shoulder nerves (Suprascapular and Axillary) for shoulder stabilization. Intercostal nerve transfer used to innervate a gracilis (inner thigh) muscle transfer to the bicepts area. They also used intercostals to innervate the natural bicepts. Almost done..... sural nerves from the legs were used for grafting where they needed extra piping. Fewf...that's all. This was done at one time by three doctors in 12 and a half hours.
So here we are, hangin' in recovery mode.
love to all, jessica j
jjanney

Post by jjanney »

Oh, I forgot. We are both from New Hampshire but we live in Los Angeles, California.
jessica
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

ok numbers crunched again (about time :0)

total tbpi on this thread 114 75 males 38 females

many many others have posted on other threads and not been counted here....there's a lot of us about.

Causes look like this;

Motorcycle accident 52

Car accident 17

Surgery (iatrogenic injury) 12

Tree falling 2

Airbag 2

Taxi hitting pedestrian 1

Sign falling 1

Wall falling 1

Bus accident 1

Fall 1

Climbing accident 1

Snowmobile 2

Snowboard 1

Ski lift 1

Train hitting pedestrian 1

Waterski accident 1

Jetski accident 1

Playground accident 1

Football injury 1

Watching movie 1

Exercise bike fall 1

Gunshot 1

X ray equipment falling 1

Quadbike 2

Pedestrian/motorvehicle collision 2

Horseriding 2

Bicycle 2

No cause specified 2

Nationalities (where specified)

USA 66

England 18

Australia 1

New Zealand 2

Canada 4

Scotland 3

Isle of Man 1

Jordan 1

Italy 1

Portugal 1

South Africa 1

I'm finding it hard to do this as comprehensively as I used to, but those are big numbers. Since my last crunch I found a paper about numbers of tbpi, the numbers are astronomical. Of admissions to ER, as many as 5% have nerve injury, and 1% have tbpi-that's 1 in 100 admissions to ER! With 2,700,000 road accidents involving ER in the US alone, that would mean 27,000 new tbpi annually from road accidents alone......here's the ref to the paper. It's the first time I've seen this investigated, altho I've heard from several tbpi docs that tbpi are sadly extremely common. http://ots.utoronto.ca/users/howardg/nerveinjury.html

Thanks for responding to this thread, and keep em coming.
Have a nice day :0)