Topomax

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax

Post by admin »

don't take it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bad side effects !
bad bad bad ! i suffer from migraines too. i'm just getting off of it. much worse than flu like symtoms
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

> > I am wondering if anyone has taken the drug
> topomax
> > and if so was it helpful? Did you experience the
> > side effects that I did......weight loss or
> > depression? In addition to that it slowed my mind
> > down......I just couldn't think as quickly, was
> very
> > forgetful, would forget words and lose my train of
> > thought. I actually thought it helped the pain
> but
> > struggled with the side effects and felt like I
> > became TOO thin. Any thoughts?
>

i had these exact same problems!
admin
Site Admin

Re: topomax--what happens??

Post by admin »

Hi,
I wanted to respond to your post. How long did you take Topomax before you started to notice the weight loss. Im taking it now going on three weeks and nothing yet. I am exp tingling in my feet , Cold hands , Cold feet, upset stomach . Im taking 50mg a day. But no weight loss yet. My doctor put me on it after taking me off of paxil. She is treating me for bipolar , because paxil wasnt necessary. I wasnt depressed . Simply a mood disorder. Well anyhow she also told me it would help with the weight loss but nothing yet.!!! Thanks for any input.
Tammy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm taking 400 mgs of Topomax for an eating disorder, .15 mgs of Abilify and 300 mgs of Wellbutrin for depression.

The cocktail has all suppressed the depression and the eating disorder to the point where I no longer have the bulimia problem and my depression/mania has subsided. I'm also manic/depressive.

I hope your meds are able to help your bulimia. It is such a horrible disease to have. ((((HUGS))))

Julie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm taking 400 mgs of Topomax for an eating disorder, .15 mgs of Abilify and 300 mgs of Wellbutrin for depression.

The cocktail has all suppressed the depression and the eating disorder to the point where I no longer have the bulimia problem and my depression/mania has subsided. I'm also manic/depressive.

I hope your meds are able to help your bulimia. It is such a horrible disease to have. ((((HUGS))))

Julie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree with Nikki - I am starting to get myself slowly off this horrible drug. I will take the pain of the migraines - rather than subject everyone I love to emotional pain. I have made a mess of my relationships with some people I love because I have been depressed, moody, agigtated, cant concentrate, etc.

read my post from yesterday ( ex police officer)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I took topamax back in November and had some of the same horrible side effects. I can't stand my migraines though and have been trying to research a little bit. I'm going to try to take less mgs and take them at different times of the day (one at night, one in the morning). I really hope it works and losing weight would be a good thing. I'll try to let you all know if it works. I'm sorry that the doctor didn't suggest any of this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We are going to try reducing from 50 to 25mg and in all fairness T-MAx has reduced the migraines (from 3 to 1 a week) - its not a horrible drug -its just the frustration that it works, but at what cost? (impact of side effects)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I too, was put on Topomax (after seeing a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with only an explanation of "mental disorder"). I went to him with symptoms of depression, anxiety, restlessness, etc. and Topamax was his solution. Once on the medication I began having emotional fits of uncontrollable sadness (I would breakdown at work for no apparent reason), extreme anxiety, and decreased appetite. It was so bad that I even the sight and smell of food made me nauseous. I lost almost 20 lbs. in 2 weeks, and just found myself to feel even worse than before I had started taking the medication. I don't know what you were put on Topomax for, but if it is at all helpful (and you have the same symptoms I did), I would recommend the medication Wellbutrin. I've found it too make an extreme difference in my life, and have since been "cleared" of depression. I feel like myself again, and woudl recommend it to anyone trying to find an alternative to Topomax.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I too have migraines and tension headaches. I had heard about topomax from the News. Mine aren't as bad as many of you are discussing, but have started to increase again. And I have been suffering with other pinch nerves causing my thighs to be numb and tingling. After being tested, it turned out that my weight is causing the problem. So, my doctor has prescribed Topomax. Which I was excited about because I heard about the weight loss "side affect". I need to lose about 70 lbs. What I would like to know, for the ones that have lost alot of weight, did you lose it because you just stopped eating or were you still eating normally and lost it? This forum is kind of scary to read! I hope I am one of the lucky ones! It seems though the ones that have gotten depressed manic etc. were not taking depression medicine and the ones that were taking it were okay with both. I am taking Zoloft. Has anyone else had this combination? Good or bad?