Coping with Palsy as a teen

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Becka
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I was born with bpi, I am now 13 and have had two surgeries for my injuries. My mother found this website 13 years ago and I attended the second camp (not that I remember, I was only two) Now it is time to me to handle my injury instead of my mother.

Re: Coping with Palsy as a teen

Post by Becka »

karategirl1kyu wrote:mine is shorter too :) you are not alone!! i think it has something to do with the nerve damage... i know a few other adults with shorter arms too!
Yeah mine was like that but it was when my muscle pop, cause my arm was hanging on to something. my mom says some kind of bone. :)
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

yeah, one or all of the bones dont fully grow, and the muscles are usually a bit weaker so they are not as defined in the affected arm.
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Becka
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I was born with bpi, I am now 13 and have had two surgeries for my injuries. My mother found this website 13 years ago and I attended the second camp (not that I remember, I was only two) Now it is time to me to handle my injury instead of my mother.

Post by Becka »

yep i know that feeling ;)
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

i think most of us do :P but anyway... how goes it????
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Becka

Post by Becka »

I'm fine, My arm is fine. well, the only thing is that it flinches when I'm asleep
karategirl1kyu

Post by karategirl1kyu »

i can relate to that too :) ...except mine twitches during the day sometimes... i dont know about when i'm sleeping because, well, im sleeping! LOL! ...its doing it right now :P ... it usually depends on my arm position, and it feels funny sometimes...
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Becka

Post by Becka »

true
Becka

Post by Becka »

Don't you hate it when you feel like you want to ripe your arm out of its socket? That's how i feel right now :x
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP for Elizabeth. :)
Carolyn J
Elizabeth Beaulieu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right Brachial Plexus birth injury

Post by Elizabeth Beaulieu »

Hi, well I'm a junior in high school and I have a right BPI... Everyone has good days and bad days... I come from a very small town and everyone knows everyone and everyone knows that I have a BPI, so they don't really treat me any differently. I don't let my arm stop me, and when someone tells me that I can't do something, I prove them wrong and do it. You're not a freak. Everyone has some flaw... I'm in pain all the time too, but you can't let that stop you. I try to put a brave face on and not let anyone know that I'm in pain. The only thing you can do for that is take tylanol or any other kind of pain med. I play trumpet, basketball, and volleyball and I just come up with different techniques to play. And when it comes to telling people whats wrong with me, then I ask them if they want the long version or short version. If they say long, then I start by saying what my doctor did, and if they want short, I just say nerves are pulled out of my spine, so my arm doesn't grow... I guess as time goes by, you get used to the pain... If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask... Or if anyone needs to talk to anyone, I'm here to listen. I'm a very good listener :)