Surgery Scheduled

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Janet Lee

Re: Surgery Scheduled

Post by Janet Lee »

Yeah, I know what you mean. The doctors at Mayo don't expect me to get back to normal which means I'll never get my serve back. But as long as I can serve... And I haven't tried running since my surgery (I broke 5 vertebrae). But tennis does involve more running than people think. At practice, 3 miles up a ski hill was not uncommon. And I know about the deltoid. well... at least part of it. I only paralyzed one of the sections. Just not to sure which one... and it does suck. I just tell myself that it could have been A LOT worse and 5 1/2 months later, I still havent gotten mad at myself... Yet.
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

Well for most of us with TBPI something pretty bad happened to cause it so it could always be worse. The running is just tough because the few vertabrae that I split completely open had to be fused. So basically I feel fine normally, but standing for hours or compresion on the spine (running) just causes a lot of pain. I know how you feel. I've always been that guys that'll dive for the ball or do the splits to get that return. I'll never be able to play at the level I expect of myself, but I (just like you) can be the best 1 1/2 armed player every. I hope you get more back then I did, cause I feel like I got alot back.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
Janet Lee

Post by Janet Lee »

I had my surgery done on September 21st and had amazing results! The neurosurgeons scraped away scar tissue from the stretched area of my nerves and then did an internal EMG. The EMG showed firing in my tricep right away! They called in a neuro-physiologist who took a look and decided that it would be best not to have the nerve transplant and I could heal best on my own. It's been almost 2 weeks and because of the pressure that was released on my nerves, I am able to hold my arm above my head and flex. Things are going great! Thanks for all of the advice!
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

Wonderful News!
Wishing You More Too Come !

With Peace & Light
Mardelle