sling or brace for running?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Re: sling or brace for running?

Post by Dan »

Hi All,

I have been absent from this discussion because I have been working on building, testing, pricing, sizing and working out the bugs on a sling since this post started a few months ago. For those of you who don't know, I was injured over 20 years ago in a water ski race accident, I avulsed all five nerves, so have little to no use of my left arm. I have done just about anything and everything I have wanted to do athletically since. I have also broken my bad arm twice being active without my arm secured down.

Over the course of the first year, I "lucked" into a sling/wrap devise that worked very well for me and until this post, I used it for twenty years. I had always had a sling in my mind that would improve upon what I have used, but lacked the motivation to do it since mine worked so well for me. Two things I wanted to improve, one was something I could put on myself, two was take the pressure off the shoulder strap, which we accomplished with this sling.

When Robin started this thread, I figured it was time to make my sling. Some of you might have seen the waterski harness I designed and had built, Chris posted the pictures on his website for me, I went back to the company I had build my harness and asked them if they could build a sling for me and then also build them for others if there was interest, they agreed.

I had mine built with the idea of what measurements are needed to build for others without being sized in person, when mine was completed, I asked Robin to give me her measurements and had one built for her. I will let her post her comments of what she thinks, we are also in the process of having one built for Chris and Fernando with a fourth one the way. Based on what we learned from Robin and the cost to build, we are ready to make for others.

I also wanted to let people know, I don't think there is one perfect sling. I have used Fernando's sling, saw what Heddi made and read what others are using and think you have to have an idea of what you need the sling to do to determine which will work for you. The sling I made is designed with the idea to keep your entire arm very secure to your body and feel more like one part of your body, rather than move at all. I don't find it restricts my breathing at all and it gives me the confidence to go after the sport I am doing without even thinking about my arm.

I am in the process of determining what the best way to show pictures of the sling and take orders will be, in the meantime, you can e-mail me at: danielbaldrich@yahoo.com or call me at 818-636-8109 to discuss the measurements needed and arrange payment. I am on the west coast, so not to early for east coasters. Price at this time will be $100.00 plus tax and shipping, it might change if there are more custom features you need and it takes longer to build, but for now, we are going with $100.00.

We are also able to make in multiple colors, the first few were all black, but they are getting hot, so the next one we are making will be blue. I am testing gray and red also to see how hot the material gets in the sun, if you are not so worried about that and really want a pink one, we can do that too:)

I hope this helps with getting others out there and active again!

Regards,
Dan

Message was edited by: Dan
trimommy

Post by trimommy »

Hi all!
Heddi, welcome! i read your story, very impressive. You are awesome Like joel i am a triathlete. i had just completed a half ironman when i was struck by a car on my bike. The first thing i did once i was able was get in the pool. i think it was 2 months post accident. i started swimming very slowly, used fins a bit. i remember completing my first 500! then 1000! then i did a mile. I am up to 3200 now. Kind of unecessary since the race i am doing in july is an olympic distance. I just like the feeling of accomplishment. Anyway, the point of my post is to talk about Dan's sling. I did not like any of the slings that went around my waiste because they restricted breathing. This sling distributes the weight of the arm over the shoulders. i need shoulder stabalization and this does that as well. I am so excited that i can run again. Now i am waiting for my new bike. will have to play around with the set-up to see what works. i am comfortable in the aero bars on my road bike on the trainer, we'll see what happens with tri bike. Heddi i will probably need some advice when we get to that point. it better be soon because i am planning a century ride on May 18th in Montauk, NY.

I will post a photo, but this sling is a savior. easy to put on and holds tight! i highly recommend it.

thank you all for the input. Heddi, good luck in Boston!

Robin
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

Hi Robin,

Wow, it's really inspiring that you are up to 3200 in the pool! I've gotten up to 3/4 mile, but get really tired at that point. I think it will help when I can cut back my running miles for a bit after Boston.

It sounds like you're doing great on the bike training. The hardest part about centuries for me is the added stress on neck & shoulders. You're probably getting used to that on the trainer, but you might want to try a longer ride on the road just to see. It uses a lot more upper body riding one-handed, since you can't just lean on the bars through bumps. You probably know all about that by now, though :)

I'll be happy to help in any way I can, and would love to hear any swimming tips you might have. I just learned how to breathe on both sides (I used to sink when my arm was out of the water) and that is helping, but I'm sure there is still a lot I need to figure out.

Post a pic from your century if you get one--I'm sure everyone would love to cheer you on!

And I'll look forward to pics of Dan's sling. I'm really happy with mine, especially because it's easy to put on quickly after a swim, but it never hurts to have options:)

Thanks,

Heddi
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Everyone that's itching to be active again!

I just got one of Dan's slings and the thing is Great!!! With a capitol G!

Anyone out there that has spent years trying to find out ways to not have their shoulder bounce out of socket,
or just keep their arm from loosely flying around will love this and truly understand the depths of its value.

One of my personal biggest obstacles to getting back into the world of the living and being my old "physical" self again was the frustration and very real pain that my shoulder stability was so weak. I've had three different slings custom made over the years that have helped, but never felt comfortable enough to feel like "I was throwing on a shirt" or something else that just "fit right". Well, now I've got no excuses!

The sling is a custom fit, and it's crafted from top grade materials and workmanship. It's incredibly durable and sturdy, and covers all the bases for active function. Mind you I've only gone running with it so far (and jumping and sprinting and bounce bounce bouncing!) but my imagination can feel out the rest to let me know this is going to work.

I've already ordered two more: one for the gym and one for the trunk of my car (for last minute random and spontaneous adventure which I miss so very damn much!)

I just got back from a midnight jog and got to get to bed! I will give a full detailed report later. I just wanted write this now, because hate the idea of anyone wasting another day of not being active again because they don't have the right gear.

It's been five years too long for me and I'm not waiting any more!

Christopher

PS FYI my Phrenic Nerve to my right lung is shot, and the previous slings that I made all braced my biceps area against my ribs and restricted my already very limited breathing. This doesn't and is a real unexpected bonus for me. Anyone else out there with limited lung capacity will fully understand what I'm talking about. Just thought I'd let you know.
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hi Chris

I can see the happiness in your witting and that makes me happy too!!!!!! I also got the Sling and you are right it is great and it gives a excellent shoulder support. I been busy and have´t had a chance to really try it on but this weekend I am for offroad trip and I am sure it will make the difference.

Cheers Dan!!!!

Saludos
Fernando
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hi Guys

Finally got a chance to test Dan´s Sling and it work great. I went for an off road trip with a lot of bumps, jumps and downs and it hold my shoulder in place. With my other slings my shoulder bounce a lot more but this time I really push the little car.

Saludos
Fernando
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Hey Fernando!

It's great the sling worked out for you. Rock'n Roll!

I've been running almost every day for the past 3 weeks. First time I've been able to do this in over 5 years. I wish this sling was around then, it would've made a world of difference to me. The fact that the rest of my body was being held hostage by this limp arm was always a source of major frustrion and angst. I'd consider amputation daily, because the rest of my body's movements always felt so restricted and confined due to the damn rag-doll instability of my shoulder & arm.

Since running with Dan's brace, parts of my old long lost spirit have started to resurface. It feels great to simply RUN out the door again! A HUGE sense of FREEDOM fills me when I get my shoes on in the morning. I used to hate running in my younger days, but now it's taken on a whole new light.:-)

Thanks Dan!

Chris
herff94

Post by herff94 »

Help! I'm confused. Where is this sling from Dan? Do you have a web sight or a picture? I really want to exercise and my arm is just hanging here and has been for 20 yrs now. It's really starting to hurt, just walking around the Zoo on Sunday with my family! Does anyone notice your hand getting very swollen after a full day of being active? I couldn't get my rings off! It was like a balloon.
But please send the info of where to go to get a sling to hold it all in and together before it just falls off one day!
Kath
Chicago