Your favorite things

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Your favorite things

Post by Carolyn J »

Cinstrss,
Do you have a Handicapped license on it or handicapped Card??. All Dr.s offices has the forms; there is a category called "neurological disability/impairment",terms differ in each state.
It is amazing how that helps!! It's the 1st thing I did for myself when I found UBPN in 2004.

Hugs,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Age 67 & proud of it!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I forgot my OXO Salad Spinner.
It has a rubber base on the bottom and does not slip on the counter.

I also had for many years a refrigerator that had the bottom freezer.
I realized I made a mistake when I bought a side by side ... it was bigger but harder for me to reach into to get things out etc...
I have had top refrigerators with bottom freezer for he last 40 years.
Boy will I be glad to get rid of the side by side.
I always twist my back getting things out.
I am robpi and have to twist left to get things....

Kath adult/robpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

definitely my car. Pwer and heated seats1!! also my handicapped sticker. It has been a lifesaver
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

Well, unfortunately I have not come across the rock ladies number yet. The one she had was disconnected so this weekend I am going to try the snail mail and see what I can do to get her website. I guess so goes for the wide open spaces of Montana. Sorry, I'll work on it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How does a handicapped space help you? The only thing I can see is not having to carry my child, but I usually park next to a cart corral, so I put her in a cart right away. It works pretty good. And walking while shopping is sometimes all the exercise I get because of pain and fatigue. But maybe I'm missing something.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The handicapped space helps with a lot of things. Carrying packages a long distance, my hands being exposed to the cold in the winter, the arthritis in my feet making it difficult to walk, the arthritis in my spine making it diffcult and painful to walk. If I'm having a good day, I don't use it,but if I hurt or my arms have less control and strength, it sure comes in handy
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

My doctor said I used my tag for the wrong reasons.
My PT said I should use it all the time.

I used it when I had bundles to carry or snow.

I was told I should us it all the time in the interest of protecting my unaffected arm.
I should also be aware that even pushing the cart of groceries was a strain on my spine, shoulders, arms and hands.

I use to like to park at the back of the lot for exercise.
Now I use my tag and find I go out more because I don't get so tired lugging things back and fort to the car.

Falling in the winter time could be a major problem for bpi injured.
I have no idea what I would do if I broke my unaffected arm.
I would have no function for ADL, and that would be horrible.

Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Yesterday the curser on our computer froze. I was unable to do ANYTHING with the computer because I could not move the curser in order to "point and click." Today we were able to get an answer to our problem. The part that broke is either the roller-ball mouse we were using or the converter that enabled us to plug that mouse into this computer. Even though I am now using another roller-ball mouse, I started thinking about how I would function with a mouse that needs a mousepad.

I wouldn't be able to rest the mouse on my thigh and only use my fingers to control movement on the screen as I do now. My unaffected arm and shoulder would get too tired, too quickly for me to stay on the computer very long. I might injure that shoulder more than it already is injured. I might lose function in my unaffected arm and/or hand.

I guess I have to add a roller-ball computer mouse to my list of favorite things.

Joanie
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Oops, I just noticed that I already said "tracker ball mouse" which is the same thing as a roller-ball mouse.

Sorry,

Joanie