Rejected by lawyer

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: Rejected by lawyer

Post by admin »

Was what is the harm?
cindyh

Post by cindyh »

They said after reviewing our case that their expert
felt that there was not enough to prove that the ob deviated from accepted standards or medical practice. There was not enough in the record to prove our case.

I don't think our income was a deciding factor, I don't think they even asked about our occupations.
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

This was during our trial, not deciding to take the case or not.
The decision was easy...the OB delivered both of my children with shoulder dystocia and BPIs--my first was transient at 9lbs 12oz and my second was permenant and severe at 10 lbs, 7oz. Even if you have a great case, you still need the right lawyer (which I believe now that we absolutely did not; we could have even had help from a lawyer who did handle BPI cases, but our lawyer wouldn't dream of it--against my wishes!)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We were rejected by 4 lawyers and then I had 2 that said I had a case. So keep trying!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bump
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peggy, did I read right? Both of your babies have OBPI? I cant imagine! Was it the same OB/GYN?
Sandi
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Yes, you read correctly and, yes it was the same OB/GYN. My son (first born) was "transient" and did recover. They didn't use the term "brachial plexus injury" (at least not that I remember) with him--but they did say "Shoulder Dystocia" and I thought his shoulder was bruised or something--because they told me it would resolve itselg and it did. However, with my daughter it was much worse and I came to learn more and more about brachial plexus injuries and what had actually transpired with my son's delivery/birth. I had to have emergency surgery after my son was born. I was hemmeraging and they couldn't stop it, so I wasn't exactly "with it". My daughter came 21 months after.
Peggy