Tips on getting around with one arm.

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: Tips on getting around with one arm.

Post by AngelaW »

Alright everybody, I am officially changing the subject to a subject of frustration to us all..............ZIPPERS!!!!!!!! Pesky things, aren't they? I typically get the zipper started and then lean against a wall to hold the fabric taut while I pull up the zipper. If it's a dress or skirt I sit on a chair to hold the fabric taut enough. Anyone else have any tricks they would like to share? :)
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

Hi Angela,

For me it's coats... zipping them up. Whenever I buy a new jacket with one, I always make sure I can do it on my own. In terms of tricks, I try to push one side of the zipper against my body using my index finger, then use my middle and ring fingers (and fingernails) to get the zipper going up on the other side. It usually takes 1-2 tries each time. If I get really frustrated, I take the jacket off, zip it up with the jacket held between my knees, then pull it on over my head.

I can't say I have experience with dresses or skirts though. :)
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

on zippers. i sewed a little plastic ring on the opposite side of my zipper pull so i could put my finger or thumb in it to hold it down. i know that doesnt work for someone with no function in the bad hand, but it does help if you have severe strength issues with the fingers.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Obpi and tipi are the same but different.
I rarely if ever post on this board anymore but after reading this post, I felt it was necessary to help clarify a big misunderstanding and prevent hurt feelings.

We have the same injury but different issues with it.

OBPI is a birth injury.
Children are taught, very young, to do things for themselves thus they are often trained not to ask for help.
Families often feel, if they give too much help, the child will not learn to over come the many challenges they face.
As a result of this, we rarely think of asking for any help and have most often struggled unnecessarily,to accomplish ordinary goals.
Most, not all, Tbpi sustain their injury as mature adults and know that it is ok to ask for help at certain times.
OBPI were often teased and embarrassed if they asked for help, as children, because most people never heard of this injury and did not understand why we would need help.
We looked almost normal in some cases.

That is why Carolyn said DUH.... It was something an OBPI probably would never even think to ask.
As for her using the term obpi er , it helps to explain her injury and her views and experience with this injury.

I am OBPI and have sustained many secondary injuries due to my own fierce need and training to be fiercely independent. I learned 11 years ago from some of my TBPI friends here that it was OK to ask for help...I still struggle with doing it....
Please try to understand we can help each other but there are differences.

As for Carolyn.....she would never be mean or insulting to anyone.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I was just cursing my zipper ...great idea! Both hands are now a mess. Robpi hand weak and left over used.
Thanks for the tip.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
cristinam

Post by cristinam »

I do the same Angela... Not always convenient, particularly if you are not in your own house ;). But does work.

If it's a short/normal length jackets, I get the zipper together and the with the pinky, ring, and middle finger hold the bottom of the jacket down, and with the index and thumb, I pull the zipper up. And in that same position inch my way up to the top.... If that makes sense. Works most of the time, but there is that occasional jacket that's too stubborn that i get close to saying forget the zipper or i'll get another jacket! :)
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

OMG! The ring sewn on the zipper is a great idea!
MW, skirts aren't too bad, but if a dress is hard to zip (usually due to excessive chocolate consumption) I just about dislocate my good shoulder to get it up, lol. I need to invest in a tool to help so my surgeon won't have to end up fixing that one too.... It's a great encouragement to keep up a diet, though ;)
I do belive my poor zippers also get a fair amount of naughty language aimed at them when I am in a hurry or really cold :twisted:
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

hmmm i was just thinking about someone with no function in the bad hand. with the ring sewn on the zipper, a person could hook it on a hook installed in the wall or on the side of a dresser or wherever you can put a hook at the zipper level.
jesseb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 02/01/04 in snowmobile accident; recently turned 21.
Multiple facial, limb, and rib breaks. Only lasting injury is due to left brachial plexus avulsion of C6, C7, C8 & T1. C5 vertebrae fractured, allowing nerve to remain in tact. No sensation in, and minimal movement and use of left arm, except for phantom nerve pains. Whenever the pain sets in, I try to focus on the fact that God allowed me to live and be thankful He is giving me a second chance..
Two BPI related surgeries at Mayo Clinic-Rochester.
1- Right gracilus muscle transfer connected to left bicep and clavicle, intervated to allow elbow bending. Sural nerves taken from both calves for nerve grafting. Partial tibial nerve graft.
2- Fusion of Left wrist and thumb.
Cartilage removed from wrist and thumb to solidify joints with harvested bone marrow from my hip. This surgery has highly improved the functionality of my left arm.
All proper diagnoses and surgeries performed at Mayo Clinic-Rochester.

Post by jesseb »

Out of neccessity, I have always cut my finger nails with the clippers between my legs, by my knees. I push my knees together to force the clippers to clip shut. I can clip them this way using a medium-sized clippers.

I thought this was going to be posted on the first page. So if you don't get what I'm talking about, try page 1. My bad.
Last edited by jesseb on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmar

Post by jmar »

O.K. i been thinking again. getting dangerous. zippers on dresses and skirts. take a binder clip, (make sure it is a large one that has a lot of grip strength to it) clip it to your dress, skirt, etc, at the bottom of the zipper, then take the clasp part of the clip and put it on a hook, knob, nail or whatever you have to hold it down while zipping whatever you are wearing.