worried about numbness in both hands

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Mare

Re: worried about numbness in both hands

Post by Mare »

Marieke
No there have been no new symptoms but not going away either, The past MRI showed a widening not a narrowing of the spinal cord I guess this is why they think it may be a tumor the radiologist keeps saying that but the neuro oncologist say its rare. The only thing new with me is a large cyst that has appeared on the back of my wrist I don't know if this is something to do with TM or just something else going wrong with me. I keep thinking all this TM stuff was caused by my surgery either the tetanus shot or the way they stop the blood flow to your arm during surgery I don't know I just want to know for sure what it is. TM or tumor I have been having panic attacks again since the MRI on Fri I just need to hear that its going away.As usual I will get the report before the doctors appointment I just can't wait till the 5th. Right now I'm supose to be studying for my CDL licence but can't focus at all I don't know how you do it your truly an inspiration Thanks for all your help
Mare

Post by Mare »

Marieke
Here are the results word for word please help me to understand them as I can't get in touch with my doctor till the 5th of May.

The cervical vertebral bodies remain normal in height and alignment.

Again seen is a focus of t2 hyperintensity in the cervical cord at the level of mid C2 which measures 7mm. It may minimally enhance. There is slight expansion of the cord. Overall there has been no significant interval change. However there is suspicion for an additional new small focus of the T2 hyperintensity in the anterior aspect of the cervical cord at the level of C6 only well seen on image 6 of series 5, measuring 3mm. Given the intracranial finding described on an MRI of the brain from 2/19/08, these findings may represent primary demylenation. Continued follow-up is advised.

Again seen is minimal uncovertrbeal hypertrophy at 4 -- 5 and C5 -- 6 bilaterally. At C6 -- 7 there is a tiny central disc protrusion. All of these findings are unchanged.

The thyroid gland is gereogeneous. Small nodules are noted, the largest measuring 1.2 cm in the right lobe. Ultrasound correalation is advised.

IMPRESSION:
Unchanged focus of T2 hyperintensity in the cervical cord at the level of mid C2. Suspicion for an additional new small focus of the t2 hyperinensity in the anterior aspect of the cervical cord at the level of C6. Given the intracranial findings described on an MRI of the brain from 2/19/08, these findings may represent primary demyelination. Continued follow up is advised.

So is it MS or TM this time no mention of a tumor but now thyroid Mare
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

It sounds more like MS, but really, tough to understand it all and I would need to know what they wrote for the first MRI regarding the brain.

It seems that you have a new lesion at C6, that wasn't there before or at least that they could not see before...

May 5th is not too far away, you should get some more answers real soon.

keep in touch.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Mare

Post by Mare »

Marieke
Here is the brain one

Technique: Imaging was preformed on a high-field 1.5 tesla magnet with and without gadolinium. Comparison is made with prior study dated 8-02-06
1. Findings: The ventricles and sulci are normal for the patient's age. There is nonspecific hyperintensity in the periventricular white matter. This is somewhat subtle and angiographic and located around the frontal horns and the periatrial regions. This is slighly more prominent than seen previously. High-resolution sagittal sequences disclose one lesion in the septo-callosal interface with a perivenular appearance. Again noted are the two tiny foci of hyperintensity in the left inferior frontal gyrus noted previously. There are no other abnormal areas of the parenchymal signal intensity. Gradient echo images disclose no evidence of current or pervious hemmorage. There are no areas of restricted aqueous diffusion on DWI.
Contrast administration discloses no abnormal areas of parenchymal or minengeal enhancement. High resolution imagingwas preformed through the pituitary gland with and without gadolinium. No pituitary abnormalities are noted. There are no masses or extra-axial collections. The visualized paranasal sinuses or mastoid processes are clear.
Impression: The two tiny foci incresed signal intensity in the left superior frontal gyrus noted on prior scan are re-demonstrated and are not changed. Minimal patchy hyperintensity in the periatrial and perifrontal white matter are more prominent now. There is at least one periatrial lesion on sagittal flair sequences. These findings, especially when combined with the abnormality in the cervial spine study, are suspicious for demyelinating disease.
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

It would seem that there is a lesion (or was) on the brain.. could be MS, could be nothing...
I hope you get some more definite answers at your appointment.

Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
Mare

Post by Mare »

I think my neurologist has lost his mind he called me yesterday morning to say the noduals on my thyroid could be cancer and may have spread to my spinal cord. My PCP said my thyroid test is normal the sonogram shows noduals but the radiologist says 90% of the world has them and it doesn't have anything to do with what going on in my cord. Yes I have an appointment with a new neurologist tomorrow and one today with this ones partner mainly so I can get my MRI films back and blood work and see what he thinks. Can't get into see the Endocologist till May 27 my PCP wants me to see one just to be safe. I go to a teaching hospital thought they were supose to be the best but guess I was wrong or I got the ones that failed.
Mare
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Mare
Let me see if I have this straight...

HE CALLED you to give you this type of news!
Well this confirms that something is not right and you NEED a new neurologist. Even if he was right his bedside manner needs adjustment or he skipped his psychology courses.
Keeping you in my prayers
Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Mare

Post by Mare »

Kath
last month he told me that he thought I had a spinal tumor at C2 that would most likely kill me since they could not even biopsy it in the place it was in. and when he finally got around to Transverse Myelities he said I may end up on a respirator paralyzed from the neck down if it doesn't kill me. I saw his partner today and when I told him about the phone call yesterday he just rolled his eyes and said its not cancer it Transverse Myelities and the lesion at C6 that they thought was new was there in Feb and he showed me on my old MRI. So I should go home it will heal its self and come back in a year. Tomorrow just to be on the safe side I go to a different group with no connection with this hospital and see what they say. My PCP still wants me to follow up with an endocologist for the noduals and weight loss just to make sure I don't need meds. God I forgot how many quacks there out there practing medicine and this coming from a mom with a obpi kid. Mare
marieke

Post by marieke »

For the love of God! He called you to say this? What an ass! And yes, please do see a new one!!

Sorry that you are going through this!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

This is not a Dr. This is a monster. I would look into suing him for upsetting you with news like this without proof, or even probable evidence--that he does not have. What a cold unfeeling jerk. I'll say a prayer for you