Medical bracelts-

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: Medical bracelts-

Post by admin »

I had no idea that bp and shoots are not to be given in left arm why? Why do I always feel in the dark.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

In the dark don't feel bad I did not ever think of wearing a Medic Alert until about 4 years ago. I still don't have one but should... I am 64 and still have not ordered it. I just keep putting it off.

BP and IV should not be inserted is what I have always been told... poor circulation - it HURTS due to nerve damage the skin is sensitive.
We will have an answer from a physician in our FAQ.

Individuals with Horner's syndrome should be aware that it is important to include this information on the bracelet/tag. MDs may associate the larger pupil on the injured side with brain injury when there is none.

I have Horner's and never realized that it was important until my niece mentioned it when we were talking about emergency proceedures... she is a paramedic. I gave her Awareness Material to do an in service at her Ambulance corp.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Angela Butterfly

Post by Angela Butterfly »

Dear Guest,
There was more discussion about no BP & IV's on BPI side awhile back, under Presidents Corner 2004 & Surgeries. Here is the thread.
http://ubpn.org/messageboard/thread ... hread=9407
There is a card you can print off, and that thread is posted within that post also.