Food buffets

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Carrie

Re: Food buffets

Post by Carrie »

Hey guys,
Ok, yeah, definitely hate buffets. They usually have that like metal slider bar area where i can just slide the plate or tray along, but still you have to pick up the plate to dish anything out. I can do it, but it just HURTS. My biceps are in sharp pain if I have to carry anything in that hand with the arm flexed for any amount of time. A trick I'll do is to place my left ("unaffected") arm under the right hand and support it with the back of my hand and left arm. This works that way because the left arm is carrying the altogether way too easy to spill drink. At school theres usually just a tray and since I can hold that with my arm almost straight I'm ok. I always make sure the drinks are on the left side of the tray though and usually the corner closest to my body. The other day I was at a coffee house with my mom and the drinks were ready but not the food, so she ended up carrying them, and I waited for the food. It's ok when its your mom, but with others I'm pretty shy.
Carrie
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

My daughter is two so she doesn't have problems with this yet, but my mom had a stroke a couple years ago and faces the same problem. She is VERY independent. She will complain if there is not some where to set down your plate at a buffet so you can dish how much of what you want and not have someone else do it for you. I know of more than one resturant that installed a small shelf or added some table space between items. I appreciated it a lot when we went out with my daughter when she was an infant and I would have to carry her around when I went to get my food. I think if you can make a suggestion on how they could make their resturant better, you do it in a respctful manner, they are likely to listen. Especially if enough of us say something.
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

My motto has always been:

Never get in a buffet line without a friend behind you!

-Stephanie
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Stephanie

LOL.... all I keep thinking about was the buffet at the PA picnic.... we had a place for our plates...but I am so glad I brought a husband along to carry too....LOL....

Love your answer...LOL

Kath