Which hand to write with?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kathleen

Re: Which hand to write with?

Post by Kathleen »

Jumping on soap box

I am right obpi... I was not allowed to write left handed...

Learning to write was one of the most physically painful experiences... not to mention the emotional hurt of not being able to keep up with the other kids... having the worst penmanship in the world... but no one understood... my mom felt the local public school was terrible...(and it was at that time) so off to private school... she was told that all children had to write right handed...
When we had to write spelling words 3X each for homework... etc... I was in pain at the end... Mom did all the "punish lessons"... I could never write... our class must not talk a hundred times... besides I was quiet in school...

After high school my handwriting improved... Taking notes was a horror before that...

I discovered that writing with a pen not pencil and a metal pen (fat one) my hand writing was better...
I realized the real problem was sensory... I could not feel the pencil in my hand it was too light! so I squeezed it until my hand hurt more... The skinny pens again I squeezed... Fat cold pens.... I could feel and control...

I use to think I was supposed to be left handed...lots of lefty's in my family.... but I do so many different tasks with both hands and over the years I developed small motor cordination in both hands....
I need to put contact lens in one handed and I can't reach my face with right hand only my left. I use my left hand to put on make up,lens,comb my hair and to WRITE on blackboards... My right hand - writes--- draws--- and irons.
Both hands take turns painting --- sewing ----I don't knew which to use... so I use either one and when one hand is tired I use the other... When I was young each hand had assigned tasks...

As far as this teacher and the school -- I would bring them awareness material... I would insist that they not pressure and discourage a child so young and so challenged... and that they make every attempt to make his transition into school as smooth as possible.
In no way should they ever call attention to his disability to the other children... I would be firm and I would stand my ground on this one...

I would make it clear to the school that this is a serious injury and one that requires some understanding and adjustments on THEIR part.

In order for a child to accept who they are the adults around them must give positive reinforcement not criticism...

jumping off the soap box... and hoping this problem will be resolved soon...
Kath