Coping with Palsy as a teen

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Coping with Palsy as a teen

Post by Carolyn J »

Oreo's & Mountainn dew and Jennifer,
It took 66 years for me to find something to excel in AND FIND UBPN...

Hugs,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72++ :oops: :roll:
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

and that's totally alright! 8-)
Becka
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I was born with bpi, I am now 13 and have had two surgeries for my injuries. My mother found this website 13 years ago and I attended the second camp (not that I remember, I was only two) Now it is time to me to handle my injury instead of my mother.

Post by Becka »

Hi, my name is Becka and I'm new. I'm 13 right now and I would enjoy talking to anyone cause, I'm a little lonely. Any way ill be on latter and hope I can get to know any one real soon.
sophielove13
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I was born with erbs palsy and i am not going to lie its been freaking hard, i am only 14 right but i would like to help anybody also i need help myself

Post by sophielove13 »

I know that its hard trust me i have had it since birth i am 14 right now and i feel the same as you like little simple things the world takes advange of is just so hard for me. I can relate to the pain just writing will have my arm hurt like heck. But you know what i think sometimes is that even though we have it hard other people have it worse. That probly didnt help much, but if you ever need someone to talk to i am here <3
Becka
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I was born with bpi, I am now 13 and have had two surgeries for my injuries. My mother found this website 13 years ago and I attended the second camp (not that I remember, I was only two) Now it is time to me to handle my injury instead of my mother.

Post by Becka »

Thanks, I say the hardest part is going through the hard and painful exercises that you have to do. I never did the exercises after age 9 they were just to hard to do when you have BPI :)
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

getting through the awkward teenage years is a little more difficult with a bpi, but we adults are here to let you know that we all got through it :) ...you can do it too. i know that the exercises hurt, but it for your own good to continue doing them. you may not think well of it now, but i only wish i continued to do them... i lost so much function quitting the exercises... people may point and laugh or stare... or even say mean things... but you have to either educate them or ignore them... dont let them get to you. we are stronger becasue of our injuries, im pretty sure we even have a higher tolerance for pain. i hope that i helped a little, im around... :)
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Becka

Post by Becka »

Yep that's what i always do. just ignoring them is the best way for me. and since i didn't continue the exercises my left arm is really shorter than the other. maybe about an inch.
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

mine is shorter too :) you are not alone!! i think it has something to do with the nerve damage... i know a few other adults with shorter arms too!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

mine's shorter too. and skinnier, i hate wearing long sleeves.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Every adult "OBPI-er" that I've met and read posts here , their...OUR... BPI arm is sorter than the "good" one.
Hang in here!! :) 8-) :mrgreen:
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72++