Lifting arm on back only

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Lifting arm on back only

Post by jmar »

footballbpimom

i just very recently found out (3days ago) that when there is a bpi injury, that the ulnar nerve (or other nerves) sometimes gets pinched. dont know if its from the arm flopping around or if it happens the same time as the surgery or accident. i had to DEMAND an EMG and nerve study. I was furious when i found out i had a pinched ulnar nerve. i begged for these tests for 6 months. if your son's pinkie & ring fingers remain numb and the functioning is minimal, make sure he gets an EMG and nerve study done on his ulnar nerve. or other nerves if the problems are other places
Sandraga
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Son, 16, suffered TBPI January, 2010 in a ski race. Complete avulsion of C7/8, T1. Tore 5/6. Surgery at Mayo with Brachial Plexus team March, 2010. Free muscle transplant; nerve transplants and transfers. Recovering and passive PT now.

Post by Sandraga »

To the football bpi mom, I am a ski race injury mom, one year out, with 3 visits and two surgeries at the Mayo Clinic, 16 year old son is the injured patient, left arm. Let's talk and yes, Drs. Shin, Bishop and Spinner are the best for this injury in the US. Our son had a 12 hour surgery, with nerve transplants, transfers and free muscle transfers. his injury is of the worst kind. Without surgical intervention, arm would remain utterly paralyzed, with zero functionality. Recovery is so long which makes it so difficult, especially with a young,super athletic teenager!
BaldPlumber

Post by BaldPlumber »

If it's any use to you, I like Humboldmntbkr, had a cycling accident which resulted in crushed radial and ulnar nerves. The radial nerve was damaged during my shoulder dislocation and the ulnar nerve was crushed at the elbow.

I had no triceps, forearm extension, wrist, fingers etc, but my biceps and deltoids were OK.

I have now had a complete functional recovery with the exception of some loss of sensation and a slightly mechanical feeling when articulating my arm, wrist and fingers. Oddly enough, I now have greater articulation in the fingers and thumb of my damaged hand than in my uninjured one. I don't understand this one at all.

I still have some muscle loss, which is to be expected. But you would be hard pressed to see it if you did not already know, and is it coming back gradually all the time.

Best of luck for your son. As we are all aware, this is a frightening injury but many, many people make full and complete recoveries. I Sincerely that your son is one of them.