Sports

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sports

Post by admin »

Although no one prevented him from playing soccer, he was definately embarassed, and of course had his feeling hurt a little. Even though I wish I could, I cannot protect him from the world.

It's a "catch 22" situation. We wanted him treated like every other kid, and it didn't work out in that instance. Now my husband coaches him in other sports, as my son doesn't want us discussing his injury with people, and as his parents, we respect his privacy.
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

I have always let Brittney try whatever she wanted to try and have tried not to say anything to her instructors unless it is needed. When she was in dance and couldn't do the arm movements like the other girls I talked privately to her teacher and told her that some movements she would not be able to do but that I know my child will do her best. In gymnastics I didn't need to say anything to the teacher until it came time to do backward somersalts and Brittney couldn't get her hands behind her head on the ground. I just told them she had a birth injury and had a hard time with certain arm movements. She just did front rolls instead. In all of the sports she has ever been in her coaches and instructors have just expected the kids to try their best. Just like John said, it's very common in soccer for kids to have a hard time doing throw-ins. The coach usually asks someone who is a little better at it to throw in, same as getting the stronger kickers for goal kicks - no big deal. Even with Brittney on the swim team we never told her coaches that she had an arm injury. Last summer during a meet she was DQ'd in her heat for her butterfly. The stroke judge DQ'd her for not getting her left arm all of the way out of the water the right way. Brittney was nine at the time. I told the judge that she couldn't get her left arm out because of a birth injury. The judge suggested we put that on Brittney's records for her butterfly stroke so that the stroke judges wouldn't DQ her for doing her best. I asked Brittney if she wanted it on her records and she said Yes. I think we both realized her limitations that day. Now she does the butterfly a little differently and pulls harder underwater because that's where her strength is. We are working on ways of strengthening her other strokes. On the freestyle she is now breathing on her injured side and that helps her get that arm out of the water. It's not about winning with her - she has fun being on the team and with her friends. Good coaches will help the kids find their strengths and not embarrass them by their weaknesses and so far all of our coaches and instructors over the past years have been great. Brittney has been practicing basketball - shooting with one arm - and is thinking of giving that a try. I also wanted to say that for our family - sports are supposed to be fun and something our kids want to try. When a sport gets too competitive I think it loses the whole reason you want your child involved anyway.

Gees I'm sorry this got so long!! Christy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job!

My son needs to learn to swim as he loves to go fishing, so this is a safety issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it happens!
tammyo

Post by tammyo »

Ok........warning........proud mom story!

We searched for the "right" sport for Josh......soccer seemed to be the perfect match. He played for 5 years..we had our ups and downs. One coach called his BPI arm his "bad" arm......whooooo........we had a talk.....he asked "what should I call it?" I asked him, "what do you call your right arm" DUH.....he got the point.

Josh always wanted to play goalie........we understood the coaches were reluctant to give him a chance...the only position on the field where you can use hands...he could only use one.

We finally found a coach that gave him a chance.......JOshs team won the championship that year.....in a "shoot out" . He blocked the goal that won the game.......they named him "Outstanding Player" that year......the next.......they named the award after him.......hey he was on the front page of our local paper.......cool.....huh? I know, I know, but I warned ya.......proud mom story........thanks for listening

TAmmy
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

YEAH!!!!! Way to go Josh! What a great story - I'm so glad you shared it!
Christy
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

Tammy, that's so awesome! You deserve to be a proud Mom! Thanks for sharing! It's encouraging to read stories like this. -Tina
Christine

Post by Christine »

I'm thrilled to hear of so many of our angels involved in sports. My daughter (ROBPI) started gymnastics at two years old with the blessing of the docs at TCH. After seeing the benefits, her aquatics therapist is recommending gymnastics to other BPI kids (as long as their shoulder is not dislocated). She also did Ballet and Tumbling this past year and will start up again in Sept. She has done swimming lessons and has even learned to swim (not yet four years old). I'm about as proud of her as I could be. This has enabled us to back off of "formal" therapy to once a week. She loves her sports activities and can't seem to get enough. My problem will not be what sports CAN she do, but what will we have to give up because I don't want to overdo it when she starts school. I always give "the speech" to the coach/ teacher. I've found that most will come up with inovative ways to "work on" her limitations without drawing attention to her differences. They are usually so understanding when they know what is going on. I have not yet had a problem with a rude or ignorant teacher/coach. I try never to miss an opportunity to educate someone about this injury.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think with sports,and obp injured children,what also needs to be taken into consideration is their likes,and dislikes. Just like everyone else, they will excell at what suits them, and what they love to do. My son loves to play hockey, among other thing, but he has yet to learn to ride a bike. Like nost people, he tends to shy away from the most difficult tasks. We all want to be successful, and some things are just easier than others.

Our children are all injured, but not necessarily to the same severity. It's great that some children can do "every" sport, but some won't be able to, or won't even want to. My other child has no interest in sports, but walks around all day with a book in hand. It's great that some children don't mind their injury being discussed -mine didn't used to mind either. But....pre-puberty setting in, my child is becomming ultra sensitive about everything, including the injury. That's why I don't discuss the injury with coaches. If it becomes necessary, then of course the "speech" would have to done, but only at his consent.

Hooray for "all" our kids, their accomplishments, their differences and their uniqueness!!!