New BPI Mom in WI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
cassidysmom

Re: New BPI Mom in WI

Post by cassidysmom »

welcome!
I know you will find this site very supportive...I'm sorry to meet you under such sad circumstances...I wish you and your daughter all the best.
Dawn mommy to Cassidy 17 months ROBPI
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Re: New BPI Mom in WI

Post by Tanya in NY »

Hello, and welcome to UBPN and the boards. You'll hopefully find a lot of useful information and support here, just like many of us parents and adults have (including myself). I too am very sorry to hear that your child was injured. It is always so heartbreaking to hear of another injury, but slowly, we are working on it.

I have a daughter named Amber who is almost 5 years old who has a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury(ROBPI). She's been in countless hours of OT, PT, aquatic therapy, done range of motion (ROM) exercises at home, and has had one surgery in Philadelphia thus far. She's made remarkable recovery and for that we are thankful! She still has some issues, and they will be lifelong, but she is very functional. That is a term that many of us have learned to be more aware of...functional.

I agree that you need to enjoy your baby while she is young. Not that anybody really needs to tell you that, but sometimes we can get hung up on the diagnosis and the therapies and the worries and the so on that we forget to just sit back and enjoy our kids. It was quite amazing to see the many children of various ages at our first UBPN camp this year and see every single one of them with varying degrees of injury but they ALL HAD SMILES! That can be your child, too.

Welcome again. Ask any questions you may have, as there are no silly questions because this is all new to you. We've all been there.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, almost 5 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old