Arm swing while walking/running?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
ccorkra

Re: Arm swing while walking/running?

Post by ccorkra »

I have noticed Lucy (22mths, LOBPI) swinging her arm and yes it seems like those times when she is goofing around, really hamming it up as she walks down the hall. Sometimes she will swing her left arm (both really) when she is standing still. The majority of the time however her left arm will hang by her side. I am definitely trying to observe her movements though more now than ever. Carol, mom to Lucy (22mths LOBPI)
Katiesmom0514

Post by Katiesmom0514 »

Just my piece....

Katie does not swing her injured arm either. Always figured it was residual effects of the injury. I think it bothers me to see that more than it bothers the Katie. I always worry what other kids will notice when she gets to school next year.

Cheri, Mom to Katie, 5, LOBPI
claudia

Post by claudia »

Cheri:
No one has ever said anything to Juliana about her arm not swinging. No one has ever made fun of her because of the way she postures to run. And they know all about it, because she had adaptive p.e. for 3 years.

She just came in while I was typing this and she said that kids have ASKED her why she runs that way and why she can't do things with her arm/hand. She says that it is injured. She says when they ask how, she says "it is a long story and we don't have that much more time in recess."

I know it is hard to hear, but don't sweat this one. The kids get into school and there are children with speech impediments and learning issues....I think the kids learn a lot about tolerance.

Juliana has friends and she plays and she lives her life. More and more I see her arm taking a backseat to learning to dive, riding horses, playing on the playground, hitting a baseball and riding a two-wheeler. And I am happy to let her arm become "secondary" to the rest of life.

good luck,
claudia
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Kath,
Both my knees still have many many scars from falling in Bike riding & skating..but the bloody scapes & scabs never stopped me..I got right back on 'cause I loved these activities alot!!

AT Camp I can match anybody in most scars on legs ,elbows but most on knees!

HUgs,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/68+..heh,heh
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I only swing my arm when I am thinking about it. But never when I run, when running my elbow is always bent and my arm in tucked in at my tummy. It feels safer there I think. No one has ever noticed me not swinging my arm, and if they have they never said anything. I dont even notice it most of the time.

No worries, it appears to be bpi "normal"

Hugs,
Amy 20 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

My son usally does NOT swing his arm when he runs it is usually up in the air(I associate this with the fact that he learned how to walk with the SOL splint on and that is how he balances) but last year at "FIELD DAY" at school the PE teacher was taking alot of pictures of Brandon, she always does loves his determination....anyway...I saw his picture on the bulletin board and his arm while running was in a "NORMAL" position, I Was so excited. I have it blown up in a frame on my wall. He doesn't hardly walk LOL so I don't notice the arm swing when he walks!!! I will pay closer attention next time !!
GAYLE
Ben's Dad

Post by Ben's Dad »

Tanya,
Same story here, my son doesn't swing his left arm (LOBPI) when he runs...which makes for slower and ackward running. He has never worn a splint or anything like that. I would have to agree that it seems like a residual effect associated with Erb's. I suppose this is one of those things that make this injury is permanent.
Amy Clark

Post by Amy Clark »

Lexi tucks her arm in front of her to run. I've noticed that since she was able to run, before 2! She seems to feel like it's safer that way or something. I suppose she's never said that to me, I just guessed from watching her. When she just walks, however, it hangs fairly normally at her side. (Although she has a significant contracture, and her right arm is much shorter that the left.)
Amy Clark

Post by Amy Clark »

Me, again,

She also kind of leans forward into her injured side, almost like she is going to protect her arm with her shoulder should she fall. When she does fall, though, she lands right on her face, poor thing, because she can't throw her arm out to stop herself, and she was already leaning in that direction! Anyone else notice that?
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

FYI, when I have fallen, and I still do occasionally with balance, uneven gait problems, it has always been a reflex action that my unaffected arm stiffens and goes out front of me and I fall on it[it has saved my face,TBTG.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/68
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI