surgery scheduled

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: surgery scheduled

Post by cbe411 »

You guys are great here! SUe thanks! I will have to call Mel again and talk more in deatial! CHris I will be calling you this weekend, praying my phone works (went to see Jimmy Buffett last night, in a rain storm and my phone is not working)

Rachel, I am excited, but I am sure I will be scared once it is closer!!

Hey Chris... I am really wondering aobut returning to work? Any ideas there? I was hoping to just have 2 weeks off, am I pushing it? Also does your scar go up into your neck? I have one there from sural graphs before, with tons of scar tissue now, and they said they would have to open it back up! I would assume that driving would be on hold a bit (I ripped it open before turning my head too soon after surgery). My work is cool, I said I Had no idea... I am off November 21-? They were great a out it, kind of why I took the job... they are NOT put off byu my arm!! YEAH!!

DRAINAGE TUBES? Whats that all about? Does not sound fun!!!

THANKS AGAIN!! Chris talk to you this weekend, Sue and Mel GOOD LUCK!!

Courtney
srhykerd

Post by srhykerd »

Chris,
It took Mel about 3-4 days before she could walk. She got up in the ICU on day 2 but they wouldn't let her walk too far. Her phrenic nerve was also destroyed in the accident so only half her diaphragm works so her O2 sats weren't the greatest immediately after surgery. She really doesn't like hospitals and she's a very stubborn, determined person (that's why she has come so far!) so she wanted out as soon as possible. That was the motivation for her to walk! We just got back today from our first follow up visit at Mayo. She had an abbreviated EMG and met with Dr. Shin and the hand therapist. The EMG didn't really show anything different as expected but when Dr. Shin did the "squeeze test" on Mel's biceps it was positive which he said is a very good sign. When he squeezed her arm she could feel it under her rib cage. We were so happy and relieved to hear that things are progressing. I can't wait until she can move it (even a little)!
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Sue this sounds great!! I am so happy to hear this! Tell Mel HI for me... maybe one day i will have a few free minutes and get to call her! Thiw whole WORKING thing... it doesnt leazve time for much else! haha

COurtney
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

Hey Courtney! We're SO pumped about your upcoming surgery and you already know how high I am on Mayo. Say hey to the whole team but while you're at it give Dr. Shin a hug 'n kiss for us (smile).

From the other posts, I think everything is covered in terms of what to expect. The only thing I can add is that when you're ready to "graduate" from hospital food, don't forget Canadian Honkers just across the street. We LOVE that place.

Keep us posted...

...and take care,

Ellen
RottieJan

Post by RottieJan »

Hi Court (& everyone else!)!

i am soooo excited for you! know you'll be in my thoughts on THE day!

yes, i'm back! long story short:

finally had the breakdown i've worked for all my life *grin* last October. dr.'s said that most of it came from PTSD as i'd never been given any counselling (other than all you wonderful people on this board) after my TBPI.

started my own animal rescue in January and haven't looked back! however, it takes up most of my time fund raising.

I've missed all of you and can't guarantee i'll post regularly, but will try when i can.

Good luck, Court!

hugs,

Jan