Horner's Syndrome

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
jennyinsandiego

Re: Horner's Syndrome

Post by jennyinsandiego »

Lizzie has Horner's. She had avulsions of c7,c8 and t1. Horner's can cause eye change color, our opthamologist said we were lucky she alreay had blue eyes. He also said it wouldn't cause any problems with eyesight. Like everyone else said, the eye appears to sink in when she is tired or sick. Her pupils are equally reactive but the affected pupil is much smaller. We noticed it as soon as that eye opened. (it was swollen shut for a couple of weeks as it was used as a thumb hold during the delivery)
parent needing help
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 03/28/2000 OBPI. rc5-6 rupture, rc7-8 avulsion rt1 stretch. L humeral fx lc7 stretch

Post by parent needing help »

Thumb hold here too! Crappy people, if you have to pull them out by the eyeballs common sense ought to tell you something "ain't" right baby!
Christy & Katie Chapman
Jake'smom

Post by Jake'smom »

I'm horrified by this thumb hold thing. For heaven's sake, I've certainly never delivered a baby...but I don't think I'd use an eye socket as a thumb hold! Who are these doctors and what they _______ are they thinking?
katep

Post by katep »

Joshua had a droopy eyelid for about 2-3 months after birth. It's apparently possible for a child with an C5-C6/7 injury to have eyelid droopiness which is not actually Horner's syndrome (just eyelid ptsosis, no eye color change or pupil differences.) The neurosurgeon who I talked to said this is caused by damage in the region of C4, whereas actual Horner's is associated with injury to the lower plexus. Joshua's ptosis was temporary, and I believe gone by 2-3 months old. I've heard of other kids with "temporary Horners" and I think this is what's going on.

Kate