Writing/Note Taking skills in Junior High

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Eileen and Kaitlin

Re: Writing/Note Taking skills in Junior High

Post by Eileen and Kaitlin »

Thanks for your insight She does push herself when she writes since she desperately wants to 'fit-in'. Recently, her therapist tried taping her wrist and forearm and then she tries to write for a longer time period. At first we thought it improved, however, this week I did not observe any decrease in pain. She also presses too much while writing.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Writing/Note Taking skills in Junior High

Post by Kath »

Eileen
Oh my goodness Kaitlin sounds just like I was when I was a kid.
I had hoped that the use of laptops would help the obpi kids feel less different.
Pressing too hard in my case is due to the lack of feeling and I was not fully aware of the feeling loss as a kid.
I did not realize I hate cold on my arm and cannot feel hot until I am burned...

I throw with my left hand, put on contacts, makeup, eat etc.

I wish I could think of something to strengthen her hand so that she could take notes without hand cramps.
I still get cramps in my hand if I write to much so I use the laptop and that gives me plenty of finger exercise.
I use a soft ball to squeeze if my fingers bother me.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi