Intro and some questions!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
judodson

Intro and some questions!

Post by judodson »

Hi there, my name is Julie and my son age 3 has a brachial plexus injury due to a traumatic birth, after many opinions and all saying the same he is being scheduled for the latissimus muscle transfer has anyone gone through or have a child who has gone through this surgery, and what was the ending result, i know recovery time is pretty long, but did you/he or she still have elbow flexion and were they/you able to reach over your arm and do the similar things as your better arm? any advice or info would be greatly appreciated....thanks so much
julie
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Intro and some questions!

Post by hope16_05 »

My advice is make sure you start extensive therapy as soon as you can. I had this but never did therapy and it realy did not work out for me. I am sure it would have had I been in therapy after but i was not so I did not gain too much.
Sorry I cant really offer any great info for you, but feel free to email me any time hope16_05@hotmail.com (I will not get messages until Sunday night as I am going to camp.

Good luck,
Amy age 18 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Katiesmom0514

Post by Katiesmom0514 »

Julie;
Welcome. My daughter Katie is also 3, with a LOBPI. She is having latissimus dorsi tendon transfer on Friday. Not exactly the same thing, but I will gladly keep you posted on how we're doing. I have been told that her recovery period will be very long and that once out of her cast, she is going to have to have intensive physical therapy 5 days a week to start. Our prayers are with you and your son as you face this difficult time!
Cheri, Mom to Katie, 3, LOBPI
Grandma Lou in NH

Post by Grandma Lou in NH »

Hi JUlie, welcome to the boards but I'm sorry that we have to meet because of this sad injury. Although I can't help with your question, best of luck. Lou
judodson

Post by judodson »

thank you everyone, he has been with his current therapist since 2 weeks old so she will continue with him after the surgery, I am very anxious to hear how everything goes with your daughters surgery, will keep you in my thoughts!