God Bless Anyone in the area affected by Katrina

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
brandonsmom

Re: God Bless Anyone in the area affected by Katrina

Post by brandonsmom »

tracy,
try your local churches.....our church(LUTHERAN) is sending medical people over to assist Katrin's Victims....maybe they would be willing to take the medicine....I know the risk that the "RED CROSS" is thinking about but maybe the churches would take that risk.
Just a thought
Gayle
Mandie

Post by Mandie »

Try the local pharmacies or hospitals. One of our local phar. is donating ALL of the meds that people have been taken off of by the doctor. They usually throw it away but he will repackage it.

So yeah....try there.
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

KAth - and everyone... My cousin is OKAY!!! He contacted some other family in Baton Rouge today. He was evacuated to Arkansas. All of my family in New Orleans lost absolutely everything. But glad they are still alive. Still praying.

MArlyn
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

My neighbours grandson got out today, he had finished his summer at a CampAmerica in PA and was having a weekend in New Orleans. At 20 yrs old he was too young to hire a car to escape so got trapped in a hotel. He and 4 other young kiwis had to barricade themselves in their room for 5 days because they had a little food & water and people with guns tried to get it from them. They were rescued by jumping off a balcony into a boat. They had to queue for 11 hours with thousands of others for a bus, his girlfriend was sexually assaulted twice in that time and they were all robbed. He is terribly traumatised but so glad to be back in NZ and so sorry for those who must continue to live that hell for a long time to come.
This is truly terrible, what can I say. I have donated to the Red Cross and pray this nightmare is ending soon for those who have suffered so much.
Jen NZ
tracy1972

Post by tracy1972 »

Gayle
I had been doing alot of praying about this. We went to a birthday party for my one of my youngest sons friends Sunday afternoon. The boys grandmothers church are willing to take meds.(prayers answered). They are plannning to head down there very soon. There is so much power in prayer. Just thought I would share more good news. We all need it now more than ever. God bless.
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Tracy
That is wonderful news, at least it will not go to waste. gayle
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Oh my goodness how terrible. I am so sorry to hear this happened.
Unfortunately at times like this those who are criminals will still be criminals.

The people of New Orleans are really good people.
Unfortunately with something of this magnitude no one knows how to cope with or keep order.

I am glad he is safe and sound home with his family.
I hope his Camp America experience was good.
I don't know what to say about his girlfriend.
I hope she will get some support and help after this awful experience. My thoughts and prayers go out to her.

I hope and pray all the families are soon reunited.
This will take years to help people get back on their feet.

I try to remember all the good people who have stepped up and taken in families and helped others get reunited with families.
The good people from around the world who have made donations to help these families get their life back together.
I hate to focus on the few bad apples who would be bad even in the best of times.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Thanks Kath-he was in our local newspaper today, he said he felt so overwhelmingly bad for the people-there were literally thousands queing up so there were bound to be some criminals there no matter where it happened. Many of them had been in that sports stadium for the whole 5 days and were just crazed. He said his experience as a cousellor at camp had been so awesome. Now he wants to volunteer for the Red Cross, but his mum won't let him! It has changed his life-as it has so many others. None of us can take anything for granted. No word on his girlfriend and she wasn't mentioned in the paper, I'm sure she will be getting the help she needs. None of us can really believe this has happened to your country, be strong.
Jen NZ
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Jenny,

I'm at a loss for words. I feel so overcome...
I can only imagine what those who experienced this nightmare first hand went through.
I even know some of them, but I can never truly understand from their perspectives.

I'm so happy your neighbor's son made it out alive and I am so heartbroken about his girlfriend having to live more than one nightmare during that experience.

You are correct: "none of us can gake anyting for granted".

Peggy