Timing/Amount of Recovery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
diverdan

Timing/Amount of Recovery

Post by diverdan »

Almost 4 months post accident I can detect no noticeable improvement in abduction of flexion of right arm at shoulder. For those who experienced recovery, either with or without surgery, did you notice improvement in mobility in small increments or wake up one day with good mobility in the affected arm?
diverdan

Re: Timing/Amount of Recovery

Post by diverdan »

Sorry, I meant abduction OR flexion.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

when you start to get mobility back in the affected arm.. its in little amounts. the nerves only regenenerate 1 mm a day so its very little amount.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Hey Dan... sorry to say but the recovery comes in very small increments. Your nerves regrow at the fastest.... a rate of about and inch a month... this means the nerve has to regrow from the injury sight (usually neck area) back down the arm..... this is going to be al ong road but YOU CAN DO IT! Keep asking quesitons!!! Keep us posted!

COurt :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey Dan hows it going? At 4 months is when i 1st started getting back abduction in my right shoulder. And you don't just wake up with good mobility its very small increments. The nerve only regenerates about 1 mm a day. It took me about 2 and a half months after it started to come back to raise it 90 degrees. Then you have to start using weights to bring back the atropied muscles.When i could abduct to 90 degees i started using a 1 pound weight for 1 rep and the arm was exsausted, and now 4 months later i can use 6 pounds 15 times. so its along process even after it starts t come back.. good luck
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi

After 14months of no one knowing much about brachial plexus injurys and nerve regrowth its good to hear I am not alone. Its a long road waiting for nerves to regenerate etc at times you feel like you will be stuck with paralaysis please keep all the messages going there is hope thanks