splint and taping

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Trent's mom

splint and taping

Post by Trent's mom »

I was wondering if anyone has success with splitting and/or taping. Trent (5 months ROBPI) has regained most movement. From birth to 8 weeks of age he had only finger and wrist movement. He continues daily to increase his movements. Now his arm rests in neutral,which was not the case 5 months ago- it did tip out. However, when he raises it to his mouth it is always the back of his hand, never palm up. It seems to move a bit more towards being palm up each day. In addition, his scapula is beginning to wing. He has a very weak shoulder muscle.

Our OT recommended a splint with a supinater( ? Spelling) strap and taping for the shoulder. As always, we will try anything prior to, or to avoid surgery. We were wondering if anyone has had any success with these methods?

Thanks-
Anita
LoriV

Re: splint and taping

Post by LoriV »

I emailed you.
ashleys mom

Re: splint and taping

Post by ashleys mom »

I am currently using a splint like the one you mentioned. My daughter is ROBPI and 4 months old. We saw her therapist today and she said that her arm now rests in a more netural position with the splint. Taping was good too, but she started breaking out from the tape. I hate that she has to go through this, I am just greatful that she is to young to understand yet and not have to hear all the questions people ask about her arm.