Erb's Palsy vs. Brachial Plexus Injury

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Grandma Lou in NH

Erb's Palsy vs. Brachial Plexus Injury

Post by Grandma Lou in NH »

Good Morning All,

I have had several parents write me saying that

their child had been rejected for Eary Intervention

even though the child's doc had written the required

medical necessary letter. My replty to them was the

suggestion that they check and see if the doc had used

the words, Erb's Palsy rather than brachial plexus

injury . For those of you who do not know, and from

what I, personally have discovered,there are many

inflictions that qualify for Early Intervention help

and Erb's Pasy is one of them. I did not see Brachial

Plexus Injury listed. Perhaps that is because Erb's

Palsy is a --- form--- of brachial plexus injury. On a

related note, a legal survey noted that in lawsuits,

where the injury was called Erb's Palsy rather than

brachial plexus injury, the percentage of won

lawsuits was much higher. Sometime ago, I asked a UBPN

board member if they could start using the words Erb's

Palsy in conjunction with the words Obstetrical

brachial plexus injury, as I have noted that in the

past few years the words Erb's Palsy have almost

ceased. Once again, these thoughts are just my

opinion ,as I feel so strongly that ERb's palsy is a

much more specific name and truly the correct name of

our little one's birth injury .Hopefully, this

information will be helpful. LOu

kd's daddy

Re: Erb's Palsy vs. Brachial Plexus Injury

Post by kd's daddy »

I have noticed a few more docs and hospitals calling it Brachial Plexus Palsy. Which I prefer. Because injury sounds like it is a temporary injury.
katep

Post by katep »

Erb's palsy is a specific type of brachial plexus injury (only injury to the upper trunk plus/minus C7 root). As such, it isn't even the correct term for many of the more severely injured (global palsy) kids. Brachial Plexus Injury or Brachial Plexus Palsy are more medically correct terms, and are growing in useage in the medical literature.

But Grandma Lou is completely right... "Erb's Palsy" is a much more familiar term, and familiarity can be critical in things like Early Intervention applications and even lawsuits. Most of the old textbooks only refer to "Erb's Palsy". Most pediatricians are only familiar with that term. It is *by far* more commonly known than BPI. When in Rome, it helps to speak Roman.

It's *horribly* wrong (but unfortunately true) that someone with a globally affected, severely injured child can get rejected for services if they don't use the name that actually describes the milder form of injury!! How screwed up is that?

Kate
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Hi Lou
I really hate the term Erb's Palsy it makes my injury sound like a birth defect or a salad... LOL...

But if that's what it takes to get services then that is what parents have to deal with and use that term.

I only knew the term Erb's Palsy and most doctors do not recognize bpi or obpi.
It makes me crazy sometimes because if I had erb's palsy I would probably have more movement than I do.
I am stuck with that term if I want to get PT etc.
I am considered global and most doctors do not even recognize the Horner's Syndrome unless I point it out.
Good thing I have had the internet for information a few ill informed doctors actually said I must have had a mild injury when I asked about it.
But of course that was 20 years ago.
After that I stopped asking because I knew they did not have any answers for me.

Kath adult/obpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Grandma Lou in NH

Post by Grandma Lou in NH »

Thanks all for clarifying ,in a much better way than I

did ,the differences between these two terms. My

little one has severe brachial palsy so technically

because her upper roots have also been injured, she

has ERb 's Palsy as part of her total palsy.. Yes, I

guess the old saying, " when in Rome, do as the

Roman's do " applies here ,as most of the docs, and as

someone stated their old textbooks, refer to the

total injury, incorrectly, as ERb's. WEll anyway, I

wanted to point this out out as I felt it would be

helpful information, especially to our newcomers.

Sorry Kath, I want use that term in front of you as I

don't want to upset you.. See you soon, Lou
katep

Post by katep »

I agree it is very important for new parents to be aware of both terms. It's a very good suggestion for UBPN to put mention of this in their information for new parents. I know that we got a blank stare (I could tell it was a blank stare, even over the phone!) when I said Brachial Plexus Injury on my initial call to Early Intervention, but I knew enough to quickly say Erb's Palsy, which was immediately recognized as an accepted condition.

I hate to think how many parents have been turned down because they didn't know about this!

Kate
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

Kath - I totally feel the same way about the name "Erb's Palsy" - sounds like a birth DEFECT, or an illness, something is wrong with the brain, ...... and does not sound like an INJURY. That term just bothers me! I've always really disliked that name and do not use it. But - what ever term you have to use to get the help you need - that's what is the most important! I just heard a commercial on TV (lawyer) about 'Erb's Palsy" - no one really uses the term brachial plexus injury..... I wish they would!:)
Christy
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Lou
You made a very important point. Whatever it takes to get support and EI is most important.
It's important for young parents to know this.

I can't have Erb's Palsy put on any of my referral's anymore.
My insurance PT case manager said last time I needed PT.... "your erb's palsy is cured"...
It would take up the entire board if I told you my response to that statement...
I asked him to explain why I can't supinate or touch my face if I am cured...
He had no answer and I was OK'd for more PT... LOL..

You can use Erb's Palsy... my primary care doctors still do.
It does not upset me. I'm not touchy about it at all.
After all I called it Erb's Palsy for 60 years.
I just use obpi first because I like it better... you could call me anything you want.
I am just looking forward to seeing you all again... LOL...
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

It's an interesting discussion.

While the medical literature has veered towards using the broader and more encompassing (and actually more descriptive) terms of brachial plexus injury and brachial plexus palsy, some of the service agencies are using the older more specific terms of Erb's and Klumpke's Palsy. They are slower to change.

When Kath and I met with the Social Security Administration, the terminology we all were using was brachial plexus injury and if we are successful in having the guidelines changed, that will be the terminology that is used. Maybe then, the other agencies will follow suit.

When I apply for my disability placard for my car, I have to use Erb's Palsy because that is the term they have in their little book that is allowable. They don't have brachial plexus injury. Go figure.

Nancy