Gracilis Muscle Transfer

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
stx431

Re: Gracilis Muscle Transfer

Post by stx431 »

Hey all, Went to see Dr Gharbaoui in Houston recently concerning Carries gracillis transfer to her bicep and he was very skeptical about her condition. So the new plan is a lat transfer to her bicep. He says that will be better in her case since the nerve and blood vessles will go with the muscle. So we're in the strenghtening mode for her lat for a couple of months, then we'll see him again and see what he thinks about things. I'll let you know what comes up.

Dick
stx431

Post by stx431 »

Carrie got her lat transfer operation last Tuesday morning, with good results. Came home Thursday afternoon. Dr Gharbaoui at Hermann in Houston did the procedure. She'll be in a hard splint for a while, probably 4-6 weeks. Then passive P/T for a while, progressing from there. We have the first follow up appt with him tomorrow. I'll let you know what's up then. Dick
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Lat transfer?? Was this for biceps? Ill be interested to hear how she gets on Dick..... keep us posted please..

COurt :)
stx431

Post by stx431 »

Hey, Carrie had her lat transfer to her bicep done last Tuesday 16 Aug, came home Thursday the 18th. Dr Gharbaoui did the procedure as planned and was pleased with the outcome, but reluctant to say it would work for sure. He said her lat wasn't as strong as he'd like it to be, but it was far better than the original bicep it replaced. It was amazing, she had vertially no pain from the surgery at all, but the BPI pain was pounding pretty hard, maybe it masked the surgery pain. The incisions healed very well. Went for her first followup Monday, all's well, come back in 4 weeks to start elbow extension and building strength. Just isometric movements (flexing) now to keep the muscle awake. No straighting of her arm at all so everything inside will heal properly. They said things can pop loose very easy, and that would be very bad. Another long slow process, but we can only try to be patient, but that's easy for me to say since I'm not the one who went under the knife. Talk to you later, Dick
stx431

Post by stx431 »

Hey Court, Did you have that appt with Dr Nath concerning your gracilis transfer? What's up?

till next time, Dick
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

I am trying Botox right now..... I will go back in December or so and see him again..... probably the first of the year I will have the op... I will keep you posted...

COurt:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey Court!! Long time - No talkie. Hope you're doing well, but I already know you are cuz I know you. Anyway, What'sthe Botox for? Was it directed by Nath? Any results yet?

Love ya,
Chris
cbe411

Post by cbe411 »

Hey Chris... yeah Nath ordered the botox to knock out my triceps to get as much out of my biceps as possible. The nprobably having the mudcle transfer in the near future.... How are you my friend? Its been a LONG time since we have chatted on the phone for 3 or 4 hours.... we chould do it again somtime... call me if you have my number stikll or email me yours again and Ill get in touch with you.... take care....

love,
Courtney
Gianni

Post by Gianni »

Hi Courtney,

My son Gianni will be having a muscle transfer in the future but it is not the Gracilis muscle. I don't remember the name of the muscle but it is in the forearm and it is put into the arm just above the elbow. I am concerned about the cast he will have to wear for six weeks. The weight of the cast pulling on his shoulder might be very painful. He seems to have very much the same type of injury you have. He has great hand movement but not much arm movement. If he swings his arm up he can hold it in place, he just can't bring it up himself.

Best regards,
Maureen aka Gianni's mom
cbe411

Post by cbe411 »

Maureen I have emailed you....