Writing/Note Taking skills in Junior High

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Eileen and Kaitlin

Writing/Note Taking skills in Junior High

Post by Eileen and Kaitlin »

My twelve-year old daughter was born with a right BPI. She is also right handed and has difficulty writing without pain. Has anyone received therapy to improve the amount of writing before the pain becomes too difficult to manage? This endurance problem began in 5th grade and intensified in 6th even with the use of grips and continued therapy. She does most of her homework on the computer but would like to take notes in class. Thanks!
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: Writing/Note Taking skills in Junior High

Post by cbe411 »

Has she ever considered changing hands? i am TBPI and was right handed at the time but after injuring my right hand, I am now left handed! It was challenging at first but now it is sooooo normal for me! Just a thought.

COurt :)
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

It is a challenge to change hands, but very posible. I am naturally left, but have always practiced and finally learned how to be right handed also. I am not BPI, but I just wanted to second the changing hands idea.

Marlyn
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Another thing I was just thinking of... a laptop.... being that she does most of her homeowrk on the computer anyways.... do you have a laptop that she could take to school? I am starting grad school next week and will be using my new laptop for notes!!! I do know that you can find then very reasonably priced on ebay too!! just a suggestion.

COurt :)
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

If she wouldn't be bothered by it, she could also have an assistant take notes; or get a photo copy of someone else's notes (this was done at our school for some kids).

Peggy
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I agree with all the suggestions mentioned above and feel it is very important that this be something that is dealt with carefully now, as it will affect her long term.

If her wrist is smaller on her bpi arm, she may also have a smaller carpal tunnel. Mine is that way, and I don't write with my bpi hand (don't have enough finger or hand movement) but even so, I have had to have carpal tunnel surgery on that hand and wrist, even with my limited mobility. When the doctor went in, he told me that the carpal tunnel was very very small, so it is most important not to push that hand beyond its endurance and bring on these kinds of issues.

If it is possible to do any of the suggestions above, it would be helpful. She should also keep a stress ball (theraband makes a good therapy stress ball) near her to flex her hand and fingers periodically.

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
LOBPI, 51 years
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Just curious, someone mentioned switching hands. A little late now I guess, but how come no one ever encouraged her to use her left hand? When she was little I mean, and figuring it all out?
Again,I am just curious...
I do a lot of things the way a lefty would do, but am right handed b/c it is my left that is affected. I always wondered if I was "meant" to be a lefty, but switched to using my right as it was easier/or encouraged?
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I was forced to write with my robpi hand and it is painful.
It was believed that all children should be encouraged to write right-handed up until the 70's.
I know because I checked with my children's teachers.

It was very painful and I would squeeze the pencil till my fingers were numb.
I discovered it is because I can't feel a pencil in my fingers.
If I use a cold pen.. metal one... I can feel it.
It is hard to take notes and I don't know the reason why but I would leave middle words out of the sentences.
I would have to count the words. My mind played tricks...
I also have Horner's so I don't know it this makes a difference.
There are many problems with changing a child's dominate hand.
Our brains can be retrained be we are hardwired for left/right dominance.
I have read several papers on disabilities caused by the switch.

I cannot feel hot that is why I suggested a metal pen.

A very small light lap top would be great for her.
Typing is so much easier and I spell much better when I type.
I think I was so focused on writing the words and distracted by the pain that I could not truly concentrate.

I just recently saw a very tiny laptop with touch screen and keyboard that I could type on.
Visiting nurses use them for patients records and I thought this would be great for bpi kids with weak hands.
I have use of my fingers but my pinkie and ring finger are the weakest...

I had a vitamin B deficiency problem and when the doctor thought I had carpal tunnel.
She put me on a B complex vitamins.
She said sometimes it helps with carpal tunnel.
I did not have surgery.
I also tool Vitamin B daily as a young child that was part of my treatment.
The doctor insisted I take them and so did my Mother.

If I write on a blackboard I can only write with my left hand.
I was amazed when I discovered that my handwriting with chalk is exactly like my script writing with my obpi hand.
A PT explained the reason I could write with chalk but cannot write on paper with my left hand.
But I forget the long explanation.
I have a good handwriting but that comes from years of forced penmanship lessons.
I really feel for her.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Eileen and Kaitlin

We did try or at least we encouraged her to switch hands, however, her brain would not allow it. Even before her first birthday, she would pick up finger food with her right hand and move it as far as she could and then use her fully functioning left hand to push her right hand to her mouth.
She does brush her hair, throw etc with her left but eats and writes with her right.
Eileen and Kaitlin

Thanks for your reply. Kaitlin has a '504 Plan' at school, which does allow for a laptop and a note taker, however, Kaitlin does not want any of these accommodations. I know she will accept and appreciate these later, but she was hoping someone had an exercise that would strengthen her arm to allow her to be a little more independent.