legs different sizes

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
veda

legs different sizes

Post by veda »

my daughter was born with bracial plexis erbs palsy she has just been diagnosed with wing scapula and they stopped her theraphy. she also has a slight speech problem, also she has a leg difference in the leg on her affected side is 1/4 to 1/2 shorter than her other leg. I was just wondering if any other parent has expierenced the same with their child
admin
Site Admin

Re: legs different sizes

Post by admin »

My daughter has a difference in her legs but it's because her leg is internally rotated in the hip socket so it gives the impression that it's shorter. She wears orthotics to help correct this.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

My leg is a bit shorter, my foot is smaller and my hip is higher on bpi side. The PT just told me that my foot does not flex properly either.

The entire right side of my body is smaller but most people would never really notice.
It was very apparent when my daughter tried on my wedding gown... the measurement from midline front to back is different... of course my arm is shorter and was thinner.

I went for a hearing test and the asymmetry of my hearing was off... of course the ENT said it had nothing to do with OBPI. I had to go for an MRI with galadium (sp?) because this type of hearing issue could indicate a brain tumor at the base of the brain…. Of course there was no tumor but he said it was better to make an error on the side of caution. My ear canal is smaller also. He did not think it has anything to do with Erb’s/OBPI. My dentist told me he noticed my face had partial paralysis when I was young and that my jaw is smaller…. I never realized it nor is it noticeable.

Kath Adult/robpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Veda and anyone else. If you child has not had surgery is the affected arm smaller around than the other arm?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

yes, it might be smaller around because the muscle is smaller (atrophied) and the bones are smaller (and less dense)
veda

Post by veda »

not much in size
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I know the first poster was asking about leg sizes, but I am answering to the guest...

Ella's injured arm is a bit shorter and definitely skinner all around. Especially the wrist area. It is most noticable when I am holding her hand and comparing it to the uninjured hand/arm size. She did not need nerve surgery, but did have a secondary surgery at 2 years and 4 months old.

~Krista~