Question RE Winging scapula and Estim

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Question RE Winging scapula and Estim

Post by admin »

I know there is sometimes a debate over what helps the winging of the scapula and what does not. We are giving Ella more time in formal PT before we look into other options to help her wing, but for now I still want to research more of those options that may be available for her. I posted a while ago and received some good answers for different options and I have gotten a lot of info on the bracing issues, but need more details on the E-stim side of therapy.
I am wondering who thought that E-stim helped with this problem from experience. What muscles would it be working on? How exactly does the E-stim help the winging of teh scapula? If anyone has info please let me know. Thanks.
~Krista~
Angela Butterfly

Re: Question RE Winging scapula and Estim

Post by Angela Butterfly »

Krista, Do you mean E-stim, or TES? They are different.

Vanda Roseboom has a lot of knowledge in this area. She did a very good job of explaining the differnece between E-stim & how TES worked more effectively in reaching some areas. In the 1980's and early 90's I only got my hands on a E-stim, and did use it successfully for SOME areas. However, Vanda explains how sometimes the TES works better depending on where you are needing it.

I believe you can apply the info we spoke about into other areas of need.

http://ubpn.org/messageboard/thread ... read=11983

Also on this thread I later noted the site where Vanda's son is pictured (before & after) having been successfully treated for his Winging Scapula, with TES.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Krista:
When Juliana was younger (and in formal therapy), we used estim extensively and I believe it helped a lot in her recovery. We used to estim her back, in an effort to strengthen her back muscles and to reduce winging. I think it helped. Juliana's winging is back; I think that her injury is more severe than Ella's. I have our estim machine, it is a small unit and Juliana did not really mind wearing it. Her pt showed me where to place the leads. She wore it during pt and at home. We didn't do it for more than 15 minutes at a time.
Most pt's are schooled in estim. Check it out. Some will let you buy the leads and you can use their machine while at therapy. That was how we started.

good luck,
claudia
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Claudia and Angela.

Angela, From what I understand, TES is a type of electrical stimulation. I will be doing more research and hopefully learn more about it! :)
I was in contact with Vanda a while back about the winging treatments and options for treatments. She gave me some great info.

Thanks for you help guys! I would love to hear more experiences from anyone else too!

~Krista~
LisaL

Post by LisaL »

Krista,

I have also heard that e-stim helps. We tried when Hannah was younger around 2.5. It didn't work for us then. We have been told we could try it again and would help with the winging. I don't want to put Hannah through that again if I don't have to. She is a very determined 3.5 year old and if we don't really need to do it I'm not going to until she gets older and can understand. (Don't take that the wrong way, that is my opinion for my child. ) The muscle is called the rhomboid. That would help with the winging if it is strengthened. We just started up doing OT again twice a week in order to try and strenghten her arm and the winging issue. I have noticed that OT has helped her alot more than PT with the winging.

Lisa
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lisa,
Can you tell me what in OT has helped so much. Ella is only in PT right now, but I can let the therapist now or do something that may be helpful at home. I feel the same way about not doing something unless I have to. This is why I am only researching now and trying to learn as much as I can. We are doing formal therapy in hopes of avoiding any other intervention for the scapula winging, but only time will tell.
Thanks!
~Krista~
veda

Post by veda »

my daughter is 5 years pld she has had the e-steam in the past for erbs palsy and winging scapula it helped her alot they stopped her theraphy and know she is getting worse im trying to get her a estem machine for night time just fighting with my insurace.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Veda, has your daughter had surgery
veda

Post by veda »

no surgery but as she is getting older the affect arm is getting worse i've notice her leg on the affected side drags when she walks and runs and her past therapist notice the bones on her face are different than the other side and the pain for my little girl is getting to the point where tylenol and motrin aren't even touching it. Her school won't give her pt or ot because her grades are not affected but yet she can't zip her coat tie her shoes and button her own pants without help.