non income dependent aid

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Lauren (mom to Brooke)

non income dependent aid

Post by Lauren (mom to Brooke) »

Hi all,

I am posting trying to find the person that posted about aid that was not income based and would pick up copays and uncovered medical costs. Sorry to everyone I've already bothered (Angela), I guess it was someone else.

I've added up the costs we are paying monthly for Brooke's copays, chiropractor, TES electrodes, etc... and OH MY GOODNESS are we spending a lot of money!! This type of aid would be a lifesaver.

Lauren
Angela Butterfly

Re: non income dependent aid

Post by Angela Butterfly »

Lauren....wasn't at the computer....actually thought it was broke. My oldest left early Saturday, for a one month Veterinarian internship....she called me this afternoon to let me know she made it and what it was like. She told me the "special trick" I needed to know to get her computer going again. I e-mailed you.
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

There is a program called Medicaid Waiver Services in NY State. I'm not sure if it's called the same thing in other states. The Medicaid Waiver for kids with developmental disabilities comes through
the Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities. You might be eligible for the Home and Community Based Services Waiver (HCBWS) which can coordinate services for you. Below are the services that are offered with the Medicaid Waiver and HCBSW, although most of them do not apply to our children, but some do. We get the Medicaid for Amber, reimbursement for equipment (a brace she used, a jungle gym for crawling, certain toys that can be used for therapy, hotel stays while going to Shriner's, etc.). We also get the educational training so we find out about workshops in the area related to topics I'm interested in (like EI, transitioning from EI to the school-based program, etc.).

Respite - A service that provides temporary relief from caregiving. It can either by hourly and take place in your home or can be residential - an overnight stay in an OMRDD operated, certified, or approved site that is not a residence.

Adaptive Devices - devices which are necessary to increase or maintain independence and safety such as communication devices, speech amplifiers, motorized wheelchairs, personal emergency response systems.

Environmental Modifications - Changes and/or additions to the home to enable the person with a disability to function safely and independently. Some examples would be ramps, lifts, hand-railings, roll-in showers, water faucet controls and cabinetry.

Residental Habilitation - a service that provides someone to teach the person with a disability home and life skills such as housekeeping, personal care, meal preparation, social communication, etc.

Day Habilitation - provides a person to assist with daily activities that occur outside of the home such as shopping, traveling, running errands, how to talk with co-workers, etc.

Supported Employment - a service that provides support for a person with a disability in the competitive workplace.

Prevocational Services - a service that prepares a person for paid or unpaid employment. May include teaching things like attending to a task, task
completion, problem solving and safety. Does not teach specific job skills.

Plan of Care Support Services - this service is mandatory for people who choose to withdraw from Medicaid Service Coordination. Will only address
maintenance of the person's paperwork and that necessary safeguards have been taken to protect the health and welfare of the consumer.

Family Education and Training - This service may be provided to the families of consumers enrolled in the HCBS Waiver who are less than 18 years of age.
The purpose of family education and training is to enhance the decision making capacity of the family unit, provide orientation regarding the nature
and impact of developmental disabilities upon the consumer and his or her family, and inform them about service alternatives.

Consolidated Supports and Services
Reimbursement for purchases of approved goods and services.

If your child is determined to be eligible for the HCBS Waiver you will need a Medicaid Service Coordinator (MSC). They assist people with developmental
disabilities in accessing services and supports in their community.

You start this process by contacting your local DDSO (Devepmental Disabilities Services Office).

I hope this helps.

Tanya in NY
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Angela Butterfly

Tanya, alot of good info. I'll add the links that access ALL states.

http://www.kidcareillinois.com/links_kc.html
Healthcare Help....with or without insurance.

http://www.lsc.gov/
Be sure to click on GET LEGAL ASSISTANCE....to get to the State and County links.

http://www.resna.org/taproject/at/statecontacts.html
Assistive Technology

http://www.lekotek.org/default.asp
Toy Lending Library

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/
Women, Infant & Children (WIC)
Angela Butterfly

Lauren, I do believe some of these do have income "guidelines". But you don't have to be on public aid.....some have generous income guidelines. I suppose, it also depends on where you live, and how much of a demand there is.....not so big a demand the easier to get when on boarderline.
TNT1999

Re: non income dependent aid - Medicaid

Post by TNT1999 »

Hi, Lauren. I think I might be the one you were referring to. Our medicaid sounds similar to Tanya's. I actually don't even know everything that it includes b/c I've never been able to find something like that in writing, but I can tell you what it's paid for us and how we got it. Of course, I'm sure that varies by state.

We had to send a letter to our state DMR (Dept. of Mental Retardation) requesting medical assistance. In the letter what we were requesting (therapy coverage after insurance benefits were exhausted, adaptive and specialty equipment, medical / surgical supplies, co-pays for all therapy and doctor visits, membership at a warm water therapy pool facility, and medical conferences related to Nicole's specific healthcare needs). I submitted the letter to Nicole's EI (early intervention) PT / svc. coordinator. The EI is under the DMR in our state. Anyway, she submitted it along with a long application I had to complete (the app. asked for our income and assets, but then didn't consider it for approval). Then we were approved. The only monetary requirement is that Nicole's assets are under $1,000. What we got is really a two-part benefit:

1 - Medicaid with a Medical Waiver -- This means that we get all the benefits that would normally be given with medicaid through our DSS (Dept. of Social Svcs.), but the DMR provides a medial waiver which means that the DSS waives our family income and assets when determining eligibility. We never had someone come evaluate Nicole to qualify, but maybe they looked at her EI therapy notes or s/w the EI svc mgr. These benefits have included: therapy visits when insurance benefits are exhausted, therapy and dr visit co-pays, the beg. of the year healthcare deductible ($250), our NMES unit and supplies.

2 - DMR Benefits -- we also get some benefits directly from the DMR. They used to give us partial reimbursement toward therapy-related things that the insurance didn't cover (alternative therapies such as dance and Kindermusik, costs to attend BP camps / conferences, etc.). They also used to give us a check each year to help with any respite care that we might need. Now, the combine all of this into one check per year (it's been $600 the past couple years). They also have a respite care facility and respite care providers who could come to our home if needed. We've taken care of our babysitting needs with family or friends though and haven't used the DMR respite care.

The benefits will continue until sometime after Nicole turns 7 y.o. Then, it would change to another waiver ("Katie Beckett waiver") and that's cognitively based so our benefits will end soon I'm sure. To requalify, we've just had an annual meeting with our DMR case manager (she comes to our house) and update her with pertinent info. Also, we need to attend something educational once a year, like going to a family informational meeting or touring a respite center, etc.

It seems like the program is not widely used in our state and you have to know about it. I think that most of the people at the DSS don't even know about it or understand it. So, it might take you several phone calls before anyone knows what you're talking about it. Just be persistent and keep calling and asking until someone knows. Ask your EI office, your DMR office, your Pediatrician, the DSS office, your PTI (parent training & info. center), programs for children with special healthcare needs (listed on the NICHCY site), other parents, etc. etc. until you get the information you need. If someone doesn't know, ask to s/w their supervisor. You get the idea. One thing you'll learn with this injury is the need to be persistent.

Well, I hope this helps. Use your NICHCY state resource list to find the numbers you need. (http://www.nichcy.org/stateshe/il.htm)

~Tina, bpmom@comcast.net (Mom to Nicole, 6 y.o. w/LOBPI & Joshua, 1 y.o. w/NOBPI) If you need help you can call me too!
Lauren (mom to Brooke)

Post by Lauren (mom to Brooke) »

Yes, Tina, you were the one!! I'll be in contact, I'm sure I'll need help with this if you're willing to help. Thanks all for responding!

Lauren
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

Is there anyone from ILLINOIS who has received the kind of benefits that Tanya and I posted about?? If so, please help Lauren with contact info. Thanks!

~Tina
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

bump
Amanda's mommy

Post by Amanda's mommy »

thank you so much for bumping this up for me. it has given me a world of information. i really appreciate it! we live in NJ and have been taking our daughter to gymnastics classes upon recommendation from her therapist and doctor. i submitted a letter from her therapist to the insurance company with the bill and was denied. i then got her lawyer involved, where he wrote a letter of reconsideration, and again they denied us. it is so frustrating how cold people can be!