Can't get birth records!!!!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
tracy1972

Can't get birth records!!!!

Post by tracy1972 »

I was born with robpi in 1972. My pain problems started Nov. 04. I have a phone interview for disability on the 18th of July. They told me I would need my birth records. E-mailed Barnes hospital in St. Louis, MO yesterday to try and get my birth records. Got e-mail back today stating that they have destroyed all records from 1974 and back. They are only required to keep on file for 30 years. This is soooo frustrating. What are my options now? Anyone have any suggestions for me.

Tracy in Tennessee
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Can't get birth records!!!!

Post by Kath »

Tracy
It funny some people have been able to get birth records who are much older than you and others can't.
I believe that there is a long form for our birth certificates that you can request from the Health Dept. in your state. It has more information on it than our regular birth certificates.

I found out that the hospital I was born in closed and my records were stored in a warehouse on some sort of micor film.... the warehouse burned down a few years before I found UBPN.

I still have not sent for my birth certificate with all the information on it. But I bet the birth injuries are not noted on it. I have a son your age and I had and SD delivery with him. He was not injured but I tried to get my records and they claimed they only had to keep them for 18 years... who knows.
I don't undrestand why you birth records are required because the law says they can destroy them.??? Maybe you should call them back. It may be a battle but don't give up.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
tracy1972

Post by tracy1972 »

Kath

I will try that. Thanks for the tip. It is just so ironic the years I tried to hide my injury and pretending not be different. And now trying to prove I have this injury. At times, I feel kinda bad for my mom. She has been truly GREAT. But I think it brings back bad memories and she has told me she wishes she would have let the doctors do the experimental tests on me 30 years ago. I have reassured her that I do not blame HER in anyway. Besides when she got pregnant at 31yrs. old with crushed pelvic bone(car accident-16 years old)-the doctor suggested that she have a theraputic abortion-told her she would never carry me to full term-and that she could die giving birth to me. She declined(obviously)-carried me two weeks over due date(gained over 100#)-was in labor three days-and when they thought of taking me by c-section I was already stuck in the birth canal. That is where the pulling and pushing came into play. These physcians should be held accountable for what they are doing!!!I blame them. My mom also said recently she wished she would have sued the doctor responsible but she felt so blessed that GOD spared me 32years ago. Plus the doctor told her that he saved my life. True he probably did!!But he should have seen the complications of this high-risk pregnancy at started with a c-section delivery. Now, I came to this conclusion with just a high school education..call me crazy but if he had of done that my life that he saved might have been a little bit easier and would not be in this situation to where I have to file for disability at the golden age of 32. I intend to fight to get disability and any treatment necessary and due to me to correct an injury that was caused by the ignorance and negligence of someone other than myself just as hard as I've fought to prove I could do anything a person with NO AFFECTED ARMs could do. Someone or some agency WILL be held accountable for this someday.

Had alot of PT growing up(prayer therapy). Now it is time for the other PT(physical therapy). That is my next step-thanks to most of y'alls posts. I hope I didn't ramble toooo much. God Bless!!!

Thanks again for all your support.
Tracy in Tennessee
kamren

Post by kamren »

I can be no help finding records. I have all my records from the time I was 2. See, that was when my father went into the Air Force. The military wanted all the records from me from birth on but amazingly all records from my Moms Dr, the hospital everything had been lost when the military asked for them when I was 2.....hmmmm....yeah, "lost".
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I got my birth records about 7 years ago, 45 years after my birth. The hospital had closed so it took some digging to find out where the records had been transferred to, but I did find them. I called local hospitals to ask and eventually found someone who knew. Don't give up and don't believe the first account that they were destroyed. They could have been transferred to microfilm and still be somewhere. Keep at it.

Nancy
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Tracy, I am rooting for you.I am sooo in awe that you will continue this fight!I will pray for you to have strengh...I KNOW you have the courage!!PLEASE continue to keep us informed;in my book, you do NOT ramble, we each must tell our story to help us all. Did I say I admire you?....keep on keeping on.I learn so much from you.
Love & hugs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
tracy1972

Post by tracy1972 »

Thanks for your suggestions and support!!!! I did alot of digging and battling, and PRAYING. It paid off, too.
My birth records were found on microfilm--not at the hospital I was born at--but I remembered being seen as a child at Labor Health Institute(LHI) in St. Louis, MO. Called them today--they faxed me a release of med. records--faxed that back--they said they should have everything(including birth injury records) to me within the next week. I am soooo relieved. Thanks again for your help. I am so glad that I found this site.

God Bless
Tracy
kamren

Post by kamren »

That is GREAT!!!!!
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

Tracy,

This is truely wonderful news. So glad you didn't give up.

Best luck!

Hugs, Karen

Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Tracy
I am so happy for you... Wow this is great and you will get some answers.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi