She moved her arm!!!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: She moved her arm!!!

Post by admin »

Yeah Chloe!! I guess that therapy is helping I am very happy for ya!!!! THats awesome!!
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Congrats!!!!! and here's too much more success and improvement for Chloe(also my sister's name) and of course all of the other children!!!

Marlyn
SpeelmanC

Post by SpeelmanC »

I remember when my daughter moved her arm for the first time, I was VERY EXCITED, especially since a pediatrician told me that she would never have any use of her left arm. I am sooo excited for you. Keep up with whatever you are doing and you will be happy with anything she will accomplish...my daughter is 8 (going on 20) and with one surgery can now lift her arm over her head. Stay positive!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yippee, hip, hip, hooray for Chloe and her family! That's awesome for all of you, especially your baby girl:)

alyssasmommy

Post by alyssasmommy »

That is wonderful news! I too can remember those days - any movement was a cause for celebration!!!

Best wishes and hope you will continue to see even more!

Jody
Steff

Post by Steff »

Yay Chloe! Mason just started doing the same thing during that half asleep stage when he would stretch, and at first he just lifted it about 45 degrees, then 90... and one day I saw him lift it clear up alongside his ear and leave it there. It was about another 10 days before he ever flexed his shoulder up even to 90 degrees while awake. Now his latest is that he flexes his shoulder to bring his arm up to his chest and then bends his elbow to bring the back of his hand to his mouth. He now sleeps with both hands clasping one another in front of his face. Today he got his hand to his mouth sitting up for the first time! He turns 3 months tomorrow.

It's funny though; he still sort of ignores his BPI arm while awake. He'll bring it to his mouth and chew on the hand, but he never purposefully lifts it to bat at toys or grab anything even though he has demonstrated in his sleepy state that he can. Sometimes he still just lets it lay floppy by his side (I think it gets tired easily). I always wondered if it came back like that where they do more asleep than awake at first!

It's nice to hear good news.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Recovery from this injury is as much sublime as it is physical. I think that a crucial factor in the recovery of our children is that safety and security that we build around them. It is not ironic that we see our children make a spontaneous physical leap in a setting of quiet and calm play. Evidently the physical ability is there, but the conscious effort seems to be rather elusive; I have not been able to see my daughter repeat some of these spontaneous efforts.

I am a mathematician, I use mediation often to solve difficult problems, because I know that in my mind there resides the matter to assimilate aspects of the problem for a cogent solution. If only there was some mediative method that we could use to teach our young children to bring forth a deliberate physical result...