When to have Triangle tilt surgery?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
jkenglert

When to have Triangle tilt surgery?

Post by jkenglert »

My daughter is 8 1/2 years old. She needs the triangle tilt surgery as soon as possible according to Dr. Nath. The problem is she is not thrilled, does not want to be in a splint during the summer, and wants to play soccer in the fall. I am willing to overrule her if necessary.

Any input on the benefits of having it sooner? Problems with waiting? I know the obvious is that she is growing still. Therefore, we are leaning toward late Aug. or Sept.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: When to have Triangle tilt surgery?

Post by cbe411 »

These are some questions that you should really take up with Dr. Nath as no two injuries are the same and we are not doctors here, all we can offer is persoanl experiences not medical advice. Also I would HATE to see someone give you the wrong information (what Dr. Nath said for them might not be the same for you) and then you have a misconstrued idea. Other people are going to read this too and it could throw them off too. Good luck to you and your daughter. Let us know how things go.

COurt xx

jkenglert

Post by jkenglert »

I realize that no one is a doctor but it is very hard to get a lot of info when you are halfway across the country from the doctor. Personal experience is what I am looking for.

For example, the splint in school vs out of school. The splint in hot weather.... Any information on the decision making process would be helpful. Did anyone else opt to wait through the summer months? These are the kind of questions we have. We have complete confidence in Dr. Nath and feel sure this is the right surgery for our daughter.

We haven't had surgery since she was two years old. It is very frightening to all of us and I didn't have my daughter's tears to deal with then.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We had this surgery for our son in late May. He is not old enough for school yet. I will say that he is very hot in the splint right now, and that he may miss out on a little of his summer activities because of us being cautious with playing. If at all possible I would recommend that you wait until after the hot summer months are over. I think your daughter would be much more comfortable in the splint in the cooler months. Good luck to you.